Instant alarm feature

Many alarm systems have an instant alarm feature so that if you are at home and a sensor is activated, the alarm sounds immediately rather than after the entry delay. Is there a way to do this with ring?

1 Like

Good question @Terrymcc! You’ll be happy to hear that this is certainly possible with your Ring Alarm. From the Ring app dashboard, open the menu (top left), select “Settings”, and select “Modes”. Here you will have the ability to fine tune each mode (disarmed, home, away), including their entry/ exit delay settings. For immediate alarming you’ll want to set the lowest or 0 on the entry delay.

Each Alarm Contact Sensor and Motion Detector can be configured based on placement in your home. If your Alarm system is armed in away mode, a sensor configured as a “window” will alarm immediately regardless of entry delay, whereas a sensor configured as “main door” will abide by the entry delay. These changes can be made in the settings for each individual sensor. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Marley_Ring , thanks for the reply to @Terrymcc 's question but your solution is not exactly what they were asking. The feature that other alarms offer (like mine that I am thinking of replacing with a Ring) is a per arming exit delay disablement feature, or “instant alarm.”

On my DSC alarm system, when I go to bed at night, I type *9 + [my code] to arm the alarm in stay mode. The *9 prefixed tells the alarm to disable all exit/entry delay programming in all zones. This way, if an intruder breaks in to my house through one of the outside doors. the alarm is immediately triggered rather than giving them a 30 seconds delay to roam around my house before the alarm triggers.

Does Ring offer a similar feature as this? Unless I misunderstood your response, your solution sounds like it would involve one having to go into the app every night to adjust all the delays, and then hope you remember in the morning to set them all back to the desired delays.

Thanks

1 Like

Thank you for clarifying this further, @dabnc, and thank you for the use case as well. Currently, this exact setting is not an option. While placement (entryway/ window), mode type (home, away), and entry/ exit delay can help to accomplish an immediate Alarm siren, this does indeed need to be preconfigured in settings, and does not have a “quick change” code option. I’ll certainly share you and @Terrymcc’s interest with our teams here!

Also, as we always value our neighbors’ feedback, feel free to add this request on our Feature Request Board. This way other neighbors can share their interest in one place, that we can organize and continue to share with our teams here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was SHOCKED to learn my system DOES not automatically go to instant perimeter when it’s set on home. I guess I never asked - as I too have had a few alarm systems over the years while we lived elsewhere. In fact, the only reason I knew there was a delay is I opened the door out to the garage after arming the house as HOME - and I heard the delay announcement. I’m sorry I didn’t research the RING alarm system more carefully. I probably would not have had it installed. The last post was over a year ago. Has there been any updates? Has Ring corrected this issue?