How to upgrade Ring Alarm base from Gen 1 to Gen 2

It’s my understanding to upgrade the Ring Alarm base from Gen 1 to Gen 2:

1.) Remove the gen 1 base using the app.

2.) Add new gen 2 base using the app.

3.) All devices will need to be re-added to the Gen 2 app.

If this is correct, all my devices are installed and I dont have access to the QR Codes.

Is there a simple way; simple swap Gen1 to Gen 2 base without need to re-add every device?

Hi @TonyRusso. The short answer is No, there is no easier way to do this. All of your devices connected to your current Base Station are “paired” to each other. You would have to unregister all of the devices from your Current Base Station, then unregister the Base Station, and do a whole new setup for your new Base Station. It is important to note, that we do not sell the Base Station as a stand alone unit and can only be purchased with a Ring Alarm kit. The QR code for your devices and be found inside of the cover of the device, where your batteries are located. I hope this information helps!

Was that a bot answer?

I am so disappointed with your resposne!

Of course I purchased a new Gen 2 Ring Alarm 8 piece kit with extra sensors to completely replace the existing Gen 1 with a new Gen 2.

I wanted to start by swaping out the base unit, have the Rign Alarm back on line in minutes, not hours. Then at my leisure one by one swap out the older sensors to the Gen 2.

I was caught off guard that Ring does not have a migration path to replace a faulty or new base unit. So the configuration is lost and you have try and remember your rooms and device name and re-enter them.

I hope you can see the lack of foresight because Ring does not have a process to save and restore base unit configurations to simply upgrade or replace a base unit!

If only i knew this before i decided to upgrade!

Hi @TonyRusso. The Base Station was designed in a way that it cannot be tampered with or just swapped out, with your security in mind. I understand that this may be a difficult task to accomplish. Here is a Help Center article with some information on the Ring Alarm Generation 2. If you need any help making changes to your Ring Alarm system, our support team is always available to help at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Where is a guide how to upgrade Gen1 to Gen2 base?

How do transfer professional monitoring to the new Gen2 base without canceling montioring?

How do I configure the Gen 2 to not go into test mode for 7 days.

How do I…

I called support and was told to cancel the existing monitoring agreement on Gen 1 base then start a new Gen 2 base agreement, JUST WRONG!

Your help link was not useful. I have both Gen 1 and Gen 2 so I am already aware of the size differences. A guide how to upgrade to Gen 2 would have been appropriate!

As long as I’m on the subject of Gen 2 differences. The Gen 2 keypad Alarm/Disarm status light are only on momentary. The base unit is the only device that shows the alarm status which in my case is out of sight.

There are many complaints about the Gen 1 Keypad lights being too bright. Ring’s response with Gen 2 keypad is to turn the lights off after few seconds? Ring needs to understand customers need the ability to optionally have the light always on continuously, or optionally fade off in a few seconds. Keypads are installed in bedrooms and family rooms where a bright red or white light may be distracting in darken rooms. If you within a foot or so you can wave your hand near the keypad but that doesn’t work if you in bed or watching a movie in the family room and want to glance over to ensure the alarm in on.

Hi @TonyRusso. Here is a guide for replacing your Base Station. When setting up your Ring Alarm system, the app will prompt you on how to opt in, or out, of the 7 day practice mode. Professional Monitoring for the Ring Alarm system allows for monitoring of 1 Base Station per location. As we value our neighbors’ feedback, we’ve created a Feature Request board. Feel free to add this and any future feature requests there. This will help us to organize and share your requests with our teams here, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place. :smiley: