How to edit shared users

@ShawninVanbc wrote:

I want to change the name of a shared user but there is no way to change it… i can change guest usrers name and info but its not the same for shared users… my wife is named as her email address and i want here name there… how do i change it??

its the same under alarm shared user and camera shared user… and cant change in either place…

thanks

Hello @ShawninVanbc ,

Yes, the name that appears in your list of “Shared User” on your smart-phone Ring App change be changed! But you can NOT change it. The “Share User” decides on their own name.

But as you found out, the online Ring Support page instructions only allows you to modify the way a “Guest User” name is displayed on your App. And this is not very clear that this editing procedure can’t used for “Shared Users.” That is because “Guest Users” do not need to have a Ring Account to be a “Guest User”, so you have the ability to pick the name that you want to see.

But because a “Shared User” have a Ring Account (which you can have without owning any Ring devices), they are the ones that ‘already decided’ how their name will be displayed, what email account they will use, and their personal password login, on their Ring App account. Therefore that is exactly the same way it will be displayed on your App. Your App just imported their name from their account.

If you want to change their name, you have to convince that “Shared User” to log into their Ring account, select their name, and edit it:

Using their Shared User smart-phone Ring App:

Main Menu > Account > Name > type in their name (the way you wish or ‘convinced them’ for it to be displayed), and then back arrow out of that page (blue arrow, upper-left-corner). Since they have modified their account name, this new change will now automatically change and appear when you (Owner) go to your Shared User page. If you are already on that page of your App, back out of it, and then go back into it. I may take a few moments for this to go from their account to your App, but it’s pretty fast (minutes at the most).

So if you convince your wife to change her account name, there is nothing to prevent her from making her assigning her first name as “My” and making her last name as “Queen”. And then every time you utilize your “Owner” App to look at your Shared Users, you will see her displayed as “My Queen”! LOL :slight_smile:

A word of caution : Currently, if she puts two words, “My Queen” as her first name, and then puts in her a last name (so now there are 3 total words for her name), possible strange App ‘glitching’ can occur sometimes. What I mean is, only a single, continuous word (no spaces) should be put in the first name slot, and the same for last name slot (for a complete name total of 2 words). I don’t think even a hyphen or symbols in any name, works well in the Ring App.

Bottom-line: You as the “Owner” don’t get to choose how their “Shared User” name appears on your App. The “Shared Users” decides how their Ring account is displayed.

I hope you find this information useful. :slight_smile:

To Edit a User, do the following:

• In the Ring app, open the menu.
  • Make sure you’re on the right Location, then tap Settings.
  • Tap Users.
  • Tap the User that you would like to edit.
  • Make the changes you would like to make.
  • Tap “Save.”

but the App you are using has to be logged in utilizing the “Owner’s” email/password. Only the Owner can change this. A Shared User login on the App can not change this.

Main Menu (3 horizontal lines, upper-left-corner of Dashboard) > Control Center > Shared Users > tap “Manage” for your location > tap on the name of the Shared User you wish to edit >

1 Like