Glass Break Sensors

I would switch my entire home and business alarm systems over to Ring right now if you provided glass break sensors. I’m not going to purchase Alexa and additional Echo’s to cover my house and business. I can’t use motion sensore because of having dogs. There are many glass break sensors on the market, Ring needs to partner with one of them and their alarm system business would increase 10x. It sounds like Alexa is the only partner benefiting from that partnership. Please add a glass break sensor!!!

22 Likes

Thank you for sharing the requests for glass break with your development team. While I’ve no issue having Alexa listen for glass breakage while I’m not home, that feature relies on my getting a notification, then sending to Ring. If I’m in a meeting and can’t be disturbed, I’d feel better knowing that the authorities had been summoned. I also don’t have Amazon Echo devices in some of the areas of my home that would be most prone to glass breakage. There are dozens of devices available for other professionally monitored systems, and now that Ring is becoming a real contender in this arena, I hope your team understands the importance, and can differentiate between the functionality of motion and glass break. I’ve always considered motion as a second line of defense, after an intruder is already in your home. Glass break detectors are perimeter (first line) defense mechanisms, since they should make the intruder reconsider coming any further if the system immediately goes into alarm.

Your folks have come a long way in a short time period, and despite some disparaging comments from a select few in the community, I hope you realize there are far more of us who ask for features only because their inclusion would make Ring Alarm even better!

21 Likes

Hi, I just wanted to reply to show my interest in a dedicated glass break sensor as well.

I plan on purchasing the Ring alarm in a few weeks as soon as my Frontpoint contract ends, and have several other Ring devices. I’m so far very happy with all experiences with Ring.

I have zero interest in any Alexa/microphone device, and would never entertain the notion of purchasing an Echo just for purposes of a glass break sensor. I WOULD however purchase a dedicated glass break sensor from Ring the very moment they offer one.

The absence of a glass break sensor would be the only feature from Frontpoint I’d miss. Ring, please release one, or partner with someone that does so a dedicated glass break could be added to the alarm.

26 Likes

+1 for those who want glass break sensors.

27 Likes

The lack of glass break sensors is the only thing holding me up from purchasing the alarm system. If they added the glass break sensor I’d buy the alarm system and 8-10 of the glass break sensors. I don’t want an Amazon Alexas or Echos as a subsitute to provide the basic function that an alarm system should provide.

I have an 80lb dog that has free roam of the house when I’m not home, so motion sensors are out of the question. I also have crank-out style windows instead of slidding windows, so window sensors are are useless for me as well. Glass break sensors are the only real option I have, and no thanks on the Alexa or the Echo. I hope they are actually going to come out with a glass break sensor, but it seems like more effort is being put into pushing Alexas & Echos rather than just making the sensor.

14 Likes

I too am waiting… I already have Ring in my house, my daughter has Ring in her house and I would like to change to Ring at my business. I’ll need 15 contacts, 5 or 6 motion, and about 20 glass sensors (yes, lots of windows!) and that’s just for one of the buildings!! Sad, but until glass sensors are available from Ring I must continue truly professional monitoring from a company that has that simple feature.

Let’s go Ring, get with it!!

14 Likes

+1 we need a glass break sensor

15 Likes

The lack of a glass break sensor is the only thing preventing me from switching to the Ring alarm.

14 Likes

If you want to encourage Ring to release glass break sensors, please give “kudos” to the person that made the original post along with anyone else in the comment thread that also agrees and makes the same request. Ring has stated that the more likes/kudos a post/comment/request gets, the more it is considered by Ring.

Here are other links where people have requested glass break sensors. Please give likes/kudos to the people that made the original posts along with similar comments in these links too to make Ring more aware that we all want this sensor.

https://community.ring.com/t5/Ring-Alarm/Glass-Break-Sensors-Coming/td-p/4387

https://community.ring.com/t5/Ring-Alarm/How-is-it-Secure-Ring-is-not-Secure-the-dont-have-a-simple-Glass/m-p/2232#M448

Also be sure to look through the Alarm Feature Request page and give likes/kudos to anyone that makes the request for glass break sensors, and be sure to mention it yourself too, if you haven’t already. Give likes/kudos to everyone that has mentioned it.

https://community.ring.com/t5/Ring-Alarm/Alarm-Feature-Request/td-p/792

26 Likes

+1 for a glass break sensor! I currently use Echo’s… but they don’t set off the alarm if it hears something. I’m only using them as a stop-gap measure until I can get real glass break sensors.

15 Likes

I agree! I have cats and dogs so I don’t want the motion detectors. I love my Ring cameras so the only thing keeping me from getting the alarm system is the lack of glass break sensors.

13 Likes

@Ring at a minimum, can we at least get an estimate of when the glass break sensors will be released, or let us know if Ring has decided against releaseing glass break sensors?

I’ve been holding off on purchasing the alarm system until it has glass break sensors. There are competing DIY alarm companies that do offer glass break sensors. I’d like to stick with Ring because I like Ring’s outdoor cameras, but if you never come out with a glass break sensor than I’ll have to go with someone that does offer them.

I’ve been willing to wait a reasonable amount of time, but that amount of time is running short; it’s been over a year.

19 Likes

i know

1 Like

+1 in the market to change companies and this swayed my decision to go with another company that does have glass break sensor

12 Likes

How do I enable Echo Guard mode when Ring is in the Armed Stay mode?

It can only be set when in the away mode. It can’t be enabled in the home mode.

1 Like

I had a glass break sensor when I was with SimpliSafe and it works.

I had set the alarm one night and went to get a glass of water- accidentally dropped the glass.

Even though the sensor was in the living room facing the big glass windows, the alarm went off. Note that I’ve had Zero false glass-break alarms.

Come on Ring - Offer it!

9 Likes

I too had a glass break sensor when I had Frontpoint (whom I left to go with Ring). It worked great and complimented the motions and contact sensors.

Having recently learned Alexa Guard does not even arm in Home mode (Away only) only further sells the need for a dedicated and ‘real’ glass break sensor. I think I speak for the many when I say we don’t want a microphone in our home to satisfy a component of our alarm system which should be intrinsic to the alarm in the first place. Alexa Guard, at best, is a joke.

We want a dedicated glass break sensor that can be armed in both Home and Away modes. We want it to offer the same functionality and options as a Ring contact or motion sensor.

**Ring, you stand to make a great profit if you release a glass break sensor. ** Between both purchases made by people like myself who already own the Ring alarm, and by potentially a whole new customer base that has yet to pull the trigger on your alarm system because you don’t currently offer one.

This is truly win-win for everyone if you release one.

11 Likes

It’s kind of a joke that they don’t already offer glass break sensors. It’s not like we are asking them to devote resources to developing some new technology. Glass break sensors exists, and have existed for some time. They should just certify a third party component if they are unwilling to release one themselves.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Can we get Ring to weigh in on this? Are you, or are you not planning on offering glass break sensors?

11 Likes

@Jennifer_Ring Community Manager

Hi Jennifer/Ring - Would it be possible to have Ring weigh in on this thread with some more specific information related to the numerous requests for a dedicated (not Alexa) glassbreak sensor. Like many others, I am puzzled as to why this is not already covered as it seems like it would be fairly straightforward. I suspect that someone from corporate is bucking for a promotion. Probably Hanrahan.

8 Likes