Glass Break Sensors

The price of a basic echo dot is on par with most wireless glass breaks (even cheaper).

1 Like

As I understand it, the echo dot will not trigger an alarm in the event it detects glass breaking. Additionally, I don’t believe it can be set to listen while you are in home mode. And even it if could do both of these things, I’m not super keen on putting an always on microphone in my home just to get a glass break sensor.

13 Likes

Completely agree dec0y!

4 Likes

Just wanted to chime in here in case anyone from Amazon/Ring is listening. I was all set to buy an extensive Ring security system to replace my current alarm, but after reading some of the threads here, I will be holding off primarily due to the lack of a proper glass breakage sensor that can automatically trigger the alarm. Having Alexa send a notification to my phone so I can manually trigger the alarm is not helpful – if I’m at work in a meeting, I may not see the notification for an hour or more, by which time the burglar will be long gone along with my stuff.

I am hoping Ring will address this significant gap in their otherwise-good system in the near future, but given that people have been requesting a proper glass breakage sensor on these forums for years to no avail, I’m guessing I will need to go with a SimpliSafe system instead. :frowning:

9 Likes

Has anyone simply connected a ZWave glass break sensor to the system to see if it recognizes it? I don’t have a need for glass break sensor to test myself, but ZWave ones are commonly available and one of the promises/purposes of ZWave that it’s not vendor specific.

4 Likes

The reviews are mixed. It says it will connect to the Ring system, however some are saying it doesn’t detect a glass break(?). However, I did read 1 review where there is a seller selling knock off so I wonder if the ones that aren’t working are the knock-offs. There is a sticker that says TX ID on it. If that is missing, it is not legit. Fox Trading Company on Amazon is listed in a review as having a legit one.

From my understanding is that a zWave glass break sensor that is non-Ring will connect to the Ring base station, but all it will do is just give you a notification on your phone and it will not alert set off the alarm or notify the monitoring company. Basically it’ll only do what the Amazon Alexa and Echo Dot’s do.

We just installed a ring system to replace our old Vivint system. We have never had glass breaks. I just always set up a motion detector ($30) for any room with first floor windows. Any rooms not on the main level, I have those motion detectors set to arm in Home mode. We also have flood light cameras or spotlight cameras to cover any windows from the outside. Final level of security is our Boxer who will detect glass breaking and lose her mind if all else fails and we can hit our panic button while grabbing the shotgun…so maybe you just get motion detectors for when you’re away and a dog for when you’re home?

1 Like

I bought this kit last year and it’s been pretty good. Not perfect but still good. But I’m still amazed that they have not released a glass break sensor. People (including myself) has been asking them for one for almost 3 years now, probably longer. I have no idea why they haven’t implemented one yet. Not even a third party one. It’s really frustrating. They say they will eventually release one from the Twitter messages they’ve replied to me but we’re in 2020 and there is still no news on a glass break sensor. Come on Ring, enough is enough. Please release a glass break sensor this year. ??

4 Likes

I’m actually strongly considering switching to simplisafe since I’ve been waiting so long for them to come out with one now. I hate to invest in a brand new system, but I’m tired of waiting. Time to switch to someone who actually cares about security.

4 Likes

they stopped caring when they were purchased by Amazon.

4 Likes

What’s really astonishing to me is that, if you read the documentation for Amazon’s Alexa Guard feature – which includes glass breakage sensing capabilities – it says Alexa Guard can automatically notify ADT’s alarm monitoring center if it detects broken glass. But if you have a Ring alarm system, Alexa Guard will just send a push notification to your phone without alerting Ring’s monitoring center. Totally useless if the notification arrives when you’re in a meeting, or in the middle of the night when you’re sleeping.

How is it even possible that the one and only option for glass breakage detection with the Ring alarm – which is made by Amazon, Ring’s parent company – works better with Ring’s competitor than with Ring?

3 Likes

Alexa can’t hear me half the time. I can’t rely on that alone.

1 Like

So I’ve just invested in a Ring alarm system and I am really surprised at the lack of glass break sensors - any chance of a roadmap/progress update from Ring on this? I am in the UK so we can’t even use Echo Guard if we wanted to.

1 Like

Echo guard does NOT trip your alarm, only sends a notification to your phone. Let’s face it, these aren’t coming.

My advice, 1st gen contact sensors are on sale right now, buy those and put them on the glass. That’s what I’ve done

1 Like

So been looking seriously at Ring as an alternative to an old school wireless and wired alarm system in the uk.

The lack of glass break sensors is one aspect it seems as to why i cant make the jump to Ring. The second seems to be that the UK are being treated a little like a backwater by Ring in relation to both the options available, and the prices we are being asked to pay compared to the US.

I might review again but for now its a resounding no :frowning:

Agree with others: I have no interest in buying Alexa devices to get glass break detection.

We’re mostly an Apple ecosystem and we don’t even have Siri devices.

I would love to have a glass-break detector that’s not listening to my conversations.

3 Likes

I own Alexa Dots. They only detect glass breakage if Ring is set to AWAY. They don’t work with HOME mode.

1 Like

@Shirva33 , you are correct that right now only Away mode is supported. However, we will keep you and the other neighbors in the thread update with any new features in the future :slight_smile:

1 Like

So does that mean glass break sensors aren’t on the horizon?

The community has been asking for glass break sensors since at least 2018.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ring/comments/brp3u7/ring_alarm_glass_break/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ring/comments/a64u57/external_siren_and_glass_break_sensor/

https://twitter.com/ring/status/1009177983351844865?lang=en

It’s not like Ring hasn’t been actively developing/improving products… generation 2 of the alarm appears to have been released recently (e.g. sensors, keypad, etc.)

Can you guys at least approve a third party sensor?

5 Likes