Glass Break Sensors Coming?

@su_A_ve wrote:

I understand those saying they won’t an Alexa device in the house because of being afraid of constant recording or sell out of privacy data.

It’s not just the selling of data, there are actually news reports of Alexa’s recording private conversations between married couples and sending the recordings to people. As far as I know, glass break sensors don’t “listen in”, and maybe thats why they dont want to release them, I’m not sure.

@su_A_ve wrote:

Maybe Ring is not for you. They are owned by Amazon, so they would keep tabs of any time you arm or disarm your system. Assume you don’t own any Ring cameras since these would potentially be doing the same.

I have a Ring doorbell, and I would like to get a couple spotlight cameras down the road for the front & one for the back of my house. I do like their exterior cameras. However, the reasons you mentioned is why I also choose not to have any interior cameras. 1st, it seems kinda creepy to have cameras inside your house. 2nd, If I wanted people to see me walk around my house in my birthday suit it’d be cheaper to leave the blinds open than it would be to put up cameras. If they really want to watch my outside cameras then I guess they’d have fun watching me mow my lawn & snowblow my driveway, as I don’t discuss private & personal conversations in my driveway.

@su_A_ve wrote:

Maybe a traditional self contained system that only calls home via cellular or copper lines is what you need?

Not sure if by “calls home” you mean a self monitoring system or a traditional alarm system company. Trust me, I’ve considered both traditional alarm system companies and other DIY systems too. I work in construction so fishing wires in the walls isn’t much a concern of mine, I’ve done it before with electrical and cable lines before; I’m fine with not everything being WiFi.

The reason I haven’t yet gone with a traditional alarm company is the 2-3 year contract required, and I want to be able to add components as I see fit (smoke detectors, flood sensors, a panic button, etc).

I have been on the fence about going with Ring or Simplisafe. As you know, Simplisafe is another DIY home security system with professional monotoring. There are a lot of pro’s for both of companies, but they both also have their con’s as well. Ring beats Simplisafe with outdoor camera’s because Simplisafe doesn’t have any outdoor cameras. Conversely, Simplisafe beats Ring with glass break sensors because Ring doesn’t have glass break sensors. Maybe the answer is to go with a mixed system: just keep my Ring Doorbell Pro, since I already bought & paid for it, and go with a Simplisafe alarm system. I’d rather just have it all on the same system for simplicity reasons, but using two different apps wouldn’t be the end of the world.

Basically my final decision is going to come down to who comes out with the mising piece for their system first. Will Ring come out with glass break sensors, or will Simplisafe come out with outdoor cameras.

2 Likes