Glass Break Sensors Coming?

Personally, I wouldn’t even mind using an Echo with Alexa Guard as a glass breakage sensor – if it actually tripped the alarm and notified Ring’s monitoring center. But it doesn’t. It just sends a push notification to your phone, which is utterly useless if you’re in a meeting or – even worse – at home sleeping when someone breaks in.

It would be really nice to have an update from the Ring team on whether some kind of glass breakage sensor that actually trips the alarm is something they expect to deliver in the foreseeable future. If it’s just on their backlog, it’s probably not coming out anytime this year.

2 Likes

When will we see Ring glass break sensors? I look for an option daily to add to my setup. I really don’t see how this has been missed. And no, I will not get an echo. That is not a solution.

3 Likes

Ring, are you going to answer all these inquiries?

When are you coming out with a Glass Break sensor?

4 Likes

A home security system is designed to detect as well as prevent home invasions. When you set your home security alarm, you expect to sleep peacefully throughout the night. If you have to work all day or be away from your home for several hours, you’d like to know that when you leave your valuables will be safe under lock-and-key. That’s not always the case where burglars are concerned. They will try everything they can to get in including breaking the glass.

Door and window sensors are set off when a door or window is opened while the alarm is set to “Stay” or “Away”. Thieves will sometimes break the glass in order to unlatch a door or unlock a window. With glass break sensors, the sound of breaking glass would cause the alarm to go off. A blaring alarm would startle any intruder causing them to run away immediately. The glass break sensors have the ability to determine the distinct volume of breaking glass. The vibration, or frequency is unique, therefore the glass break sensors would be able to send a signal over the Ring Alarm Z-Wave network that an intruder has broken the glass. Then, the alarm would sound and the monitoring company would receive a signal that your house has been compromised.

To Ring Developers – Please explain WHY you have NOT produced a Glass Break Sensor for your Ring Alarm System. Anything other than, it will be release on this date is not acceptable. There are too many people requesting this device and to not produce one is ignorance on Ring’s part.

I will await a proper response to this concern.

4 Likes

Hi neighbors, there are no updates to give on glass break sensors at this time. Our team is working hard to add to and improve Alarm features, and we will be sure to update the Community if we hear anything further.

We recommend using Alexa Guard, with an Alexa enabled device, to accomplish this. Feel free to add this to our new Feature Request Board, which we continuously share with our teams here! :slight_smile:

Obviously the Ring team hasn’t been working too hard since it has been a user request for years now and every other system has one. I wish Ring would just admit they aren’t going to add this essential sensor. <br><br>

2 Likes

@Marley_Ring wrote:
Hi neighbors, there are no updates to give on glass break sensors at this time. Our team is working hard to add to and improve Alarm features, and we will be sure to update the Community if we hear anything further.

Wow, I guess coming out with a second-generation Ring System including, Keypad, Contact Sensors, Motion Sensors & Range Extender is MORE IMPORTANT** than coming out with a highly requested and needed glass break sensor.**

@Marley_Ring wrote:

_We recommend using Alexa Guard, with an Alexa enabled device, to accomplish this. Feel free to add this to our new Feature Request Board, which we continuously share with our teams here! :slight_smile: _

Wrong, have you used the Alexa Guard, it does not work. It even randomly turns on our Philips Hue Lights which can be annoying especially if Alexa Guard is not turned off when we come home. Maybe you like being woke up several times a night because your bedroom lights randomly come on. Give me a break.

Again, I ask Ring Developers – Please explain WHY you have NOT produced a Glass Break Sensor for your Ring Alarm System. Anything other than, it will be release on this date is not acceptable. There are too many people requesting this device and to not produce one is ignorance on Ring’s part.

Regards,

A very disgruntled Customer

1 Like

You can disable the randomized lighting in Alexa Guard. It’s a feature (designed to not let thieves know when you’ve left the house) and not a bug. Either way, I don’t think your tone is productive for this thread. Usage of Ring Alarm is not compulsory. We choose to use the products and even give them money for allowing us to do so. They didn’t mislead us by claiming a glass break sensor was coming in the future so I just don’t know where your sense of entitlement is coming from. I’m sure they will release a glass break sensor if they think it’s the best option (I want one too!). However, talking down to customer experience representatives and acting as if this company owes us anything other than what we pay for is a bit irrational.

1 Like

IMHO one should probably pick a different solution. I love my Ring alarm. I have impact resistant glass so glass breaks are of no use.

1 Like

I bought various Ring devices months ago but have not opened the sealed boxes, pending glass break sensors. I don’t have amazon Alexa and no interest in getting that option.

I’m on the verge of returning my entire set of Ring devices and choosing a different system because the glass break sensors still aren’t here, after all this time and tons of people asking for them.

3 Likes

so you are deciding to go without security for months just because of glass break sensors you could get a free echo or two for?

Makes no sense.

Ring never offered them, so if you bought then that is on you.

I am very happy with my Ring setup with door peephole cam, my bond automation, my echo ecosystem, and more. I came from a DSC 1864 setup with 50 zones almost and have more features for less money.

Instead of glass breaks I wish Ring can focus on a PowerG type of sensor, it’s not a deal breaker though. My 3/2 apartment is covered with Ring, I have hurricane glass on a non-ground level floor. However my garages are about 150-200 feet away through concrete.

https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/Glass-break-sensor/idi-p/23596#comments

https://community.ring.com/t5/Ring-Alarm/Glass-Break-Sensors/td-p/2138

https://community.ring.com/t5/Ring-Alarm/How-is-it-Secure-Ring-is-not-Secure-the-dont-have-a-simple-Glass/td-p/2232

After waiting for Ring (gave them a few years) I had to go with a competitor. I wasn’t going to continue to put mine and my families safety on hold because Ring can’t be bothered. My new system has a VIDEO DOORBELL, keypads, motion detectors, outdoor cameras, GLASS BREAK SENSORS, carbon monoxide detectors, smoke alarms, electronic dead bolts, and centralized monitoring. Ring doesn’t want me as a customer, so I obliged and will be ending my service today.

1 Like

I check back from time to time in order to see if there has been any updates on a glass break sensor. I’ve had the ring installed for year now with the hopes that new features will be added as we went along. I’m looking for the same solution that many on here are asking for: working glass break sensors that are not alexa. I’ve not invited alexa into my home and I have no intention to do so.

It’s on me for buying into a system that wasn’t fully what I needed. Though I hope Ring continues to improve by adding the necessary features to serve a wider base or at least allow any of the appropriate 3rd party sensors. I do really like the system for what it is. But, I’m also planning to evaluate other systems and consider the swap.

3 Likes

After waiting years for Ring to come out with something every other alarm system has I’m moving on. I have a small Ring alarm system in my house but I’m switching soon. There NO reason for Ring not to have one this day and age. There was no reason years ago for them not to have it.

I’m done waiting.

3 Likes

Let your “Thumbs Up” be seen as your vote for Glass Break Sensors. Ring Teams notice Feature Requests with higher Thumbs Up numbers, and then are more likely to concern the request. There are other Glass Break Sensor Requests on the Feature Board. Across other topic areas (just not here in the Feature Board topic area) there are also many that I’ve probably missed a few links. But if you think this “Glass Break Sensor” device would be nice to have, click on the links below and then click the Thumbs Up Icon.

https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/Glass-break-sensor/idi-p/23596

https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/Glass-Break-Sensor/idi-p/49917

https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/Glass-Break-Sensor/idi-p/40130

https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/UK-parity-with-sensors/idi-p/27855

https://community.ring.com/t5/Ring-Alarm/Glass-Break-Sensors/td-p/2138

https://community.ring.com/t5/Ring-Alarm/How-is-it-Secure-Ring-is-not-Secure-the-dont-have-a-simple-…

https://community.ring.com/t5/Ring-Alarm/Glass-Break-Sensors-Coming/td-p/4387

1 Like

They have been saying they’re coming out with one for a year and a half now. Still nothing.

3 Likes

Wow. I just purchased my Ring alarm about a week ago. I was aware there was no glass break sensor option available, but had confidence the motion sensors would do their job. My previous alarm had motion sensors and never went off because of my pets (although the cat did manage to set off the glass break sensor by knocking a pan off the dish rack - don’t ask) So not having Glass break protection was OK at the time. On the 4th night, at 1:09AM - the Alarm goes off. Now, I’m thinking, half sleep - ’ someone broke in!’ :mansurprised: I was still in " trial" mode, so I knew the cops were not coming - so I investigated, and saw that it was the basement motion sensor that tripped. I had Alexa turn on ALL the lights and made a LOT of noise as I headed down the stairs to the basement. I get down there, look around and low and behold, there was my cat - wrestling with the floor mat (he does that) and caused the motion sensor to go off. I planned to get two dogs in the near future, but - If my cat can set this off, there is no way I can rely on motion sensors. Ring recommends blocking your animals from the area the sensors are located - well that involves locking my cat in a room, and cats only laugh at gates and barriers to keep them out of areas. I do feel a little vulnerable knowing my sensors are off at night. I purchased the 14 piece kit that came with 2 of them. Oh, and “Guard” only is armed in AWAY mode - which is really when you want your motion sensors active - but, I can’t do that! So, what am I to do? I see three options: put my cat up for adoption (nope). lock my cat up with his litter box in a room (every night???). Keep my now useless motion detectors off and pray a burgular notices my " Protected by RING audio/Video Surveillance" stickers on the windows and assume the sensors are… on? I know some of you are like, “get a new system!” IMO - I think Ring hasn’t developed this option because maybe, just maybe - the masses are not pet owners, and although they hear us complain and moan about not having a glass break sensor, it’s just not l o u d enough to make an impact for them to rush this out. I could be wrong. But - either way, I really, really hope they make one very soon - as this has become a very weak link in the alarm systems overall protection status.

2 Likes

Yes, Ring - Please provide glass break sensors! Even my car’s alarm has one…

2 Likes

Gen 2 motion is supposed to ignore pets. If it is, I’d contact support.