Glass Break Sensors Coming?

Users have been asking for the glass break sensor since Ring security system was first released. I think the timeline is for this sensor is obvious.

For some reason, their engineers would rather innovate another camera than provide a much needed simple sensor that every other system provides. Having developed sensors for many years I know that it would not take much effort, or they could just certify someone else’s. I keep my windows locked so the only mode of entry is to break the glass. When the system is in Armed and Home mode the motion sensors are useless.

The dot skill is no solution since it isn’t integrated into the professional service.

8 Likes

Same here! An alarm is not an alarm without glass break sensors! When you’re home, the alarm system is basically useless. Criminals are not going to open windows. They are going to break the glass and come through. Wake up Ring!

4 Likes

So, where are the glass break sensors? This is far from a good security system without them! Motion sensors are not used when you are home. The only thing you are relying on is for someone to open a window or door. That is rarely going to happen. Somebody’s going to break the window glass and climb through! The alarm will never go off because it has no idea anyone is in the house!

6 Likes

Having an Alexa device doesn’t do anything! I don’t really understand what your people are talking about. All it does is notify your phone. It doesn’t call the police, it doesn’t notify anybody other than you! It is a pointless gimmick. Add a real glass break sensor that is fully integrated with the alarm! Stop trying to push your sales of other devices. We have multiple units around the house. I would never use them for a glass break sensor. Like I said, it doesn’t do anything anyway. All it does is notify your phone. It needs to call the police!

5 Likes

Thank you! Somebody that actually understands how this works. They need to make this glass break sensor. I would buy at least six of them!

4 Likes

Oh, when are these glass break sensors being released? Your system is bogus without one! This is one of the key pieces to a good alarm system. Without it, it is basically useless. Criminals are not opening doors or windows unless they are unlocked. They are typically breaking the glass and climbing through. So, when you are home and the system is armed, you do not use motion sensing. Basically, some I could break in your house and your alarm would never go off! How safe is that?? Don’t even bring up the idea of using guard. That is just a stupid gimmick. It does nothing and is not even monitored by the alarm.

4 Likes

I have no issues. I can use the motion detectors without any problems. I researched before I bought the system. It was perfect for me. If I needed glass break sensors, I would have looked elsewhere. If the product is not out now there’s no guarantee it ever will be.

I agree wholeheartedly with you and the further comments in support of your question.

I would like to jump in with more emphasis on this question for Ring managment. I just had an attemped break in two days ago. My glass break sensors on my conventional alarm system (installed for more than 25 years) triggered the system which awakened me with the siren (likely scared off the perpetrator) and notified ADT and they summoned the police. I might not be typing this if I didn’t have that type of protection.

No burgular is going to try to open a window that is not already partially open. In my case they were closed, and numerous rocks were thrown at them, some landing inside when the glass broke. Cameras offer only forensic evidence, they do not protect me during an event! Motion detectors cannot be on in the house at night with the system armed.

I would love to replace this with a Ring alarm to work with the Ring cameras I have installed since then. I spent over $1000.00 in two days, and would spend plenty more if this system were able to offer the same protection. The monitoring savings alone would be worth it. I WILL NOT do so until I can tie into the existing non-Ring wireless glass break sensors, or add Ring glass break sensors for the Ring system. This is an absolutely necessary feature for me or any other potential Ring alarm system customer.

Give us some good news soon and help make defending our homes more affordable with this equipment!

8 Likes

Looks like they’re still ignoring the request for glass break sensors. Looks like I still won’t be buying yet.

1 Like

@Marley_Ring if there are no plans for coming out with glass break sensors, and would rather sell Alexa’s and Echo’s instead, then please just say so. Then I can just forget about waiting and I’ll purchase a different brand’s alarm system and have a mixed system of Ring outdoor cameras and a different brand’s alarm system.

2 Likes

Be aware that echo dots only work in away mode. They won’t alert you of a glass break intrusion if you are at home asleep.

I’d switch from Frontpoint if Ring had a glass break sensor. :confused:

any news or update?

1 Like

Personally, I wouldn’t even mind using an Echo with Alexa Guard as a glass breakage sensor – if it actually tripped the alarm and notified Ring’s monitoring center. But it doesn’t. It just sends a push notification to your phone, which is utterly useless if you’re in a meeting or – even worse – at home sleeping when someone breaks in.

It would be really nice to have an update from the Ring team on whether some kind of glass breakage sensor that actually trips the alarm is something they expect to deliver in the foreseeable future. If it’s just on their backlog, it’s probably not coming out anytime this year.

2 Likes

When will we see Ring glass break sensors? I look for an option daily to add to my setup. I really don’t see how this has been missed. And no, I will not get an echo. That is not a solution.

3 Likes

Ring, are you going to answer all these inquiries?

When are you coming out with a Glass Break sensor?

4 Likes

A home security system is designed to detect as well as prevent home invasions. When you set your home security alarm, you expect to sleep peacefully throughout the night. If you have to work all day or be away from your home for several hours, you’d like to know that when you leave your valuables will be safe under lock-and-key. That’s not always the case where burglars are concerned. They will try everything they can to get in including breaking the glass.

Door and window sensors are set off when a door or window is opened while the alarm is set to “Stay” or “Away”. Thieves will sometimes break the glass in order to unlatch a door or unlock a window. With glass break sensors, the sound of breaking glass would cause the alarm to go off. A blaring alarm would startle any intruder causing them to run away immediately. The glass break sensors have the ability to determine the distinct volume of breaking glass. The vibration, or frequency is unique, therefore the glass break sensors would be able to send a signal over the Ring Alarm Z-Wave network that an intruder has broken the glass. Then, the alarm would sound and the monitoring company would receive a signal that your house has been compromised.

To Ring Developers – Please explain WHY you have NOT produced a Glass Break Sensor for your Ring Alarm System. Anything other than, it will be release on this date is not acceptable. There are too many people requesting this device and to not produce one is ignorance on Ring’s part.

I will await a proper response to this concern.

4 Likes

Hi neighbors, there are no updates to give on glass break sensors at this time. Our team is working hard to add to and improve Alarm features, and we will be sure to update the Community if we hear anything further.

We recommend using Alexa Guard, with an Alexa enabled device, to accomplish this. Feel free to add this to our new Feature Request Board, which we continuously share with our teams here! :slight_smile:

Obviously the Ring team hasn’t been working too hard since it has been a user request for years now and every other system has one. I wish Ring would just admit they aren’t going to add this essential sensor. <br><br>

2 Likes

@Marley_Ring wrote:
Hi neighbors, there are no updates to give on glass break sensors at this time. Our team is working hard to add to and improve Alarm features, and we will be sure to update the Community if we hear anything further.

Wow, I guess coming out with a second-generation Ring System including, Keypad, Contact Sensors, Motion Sensors & Range Extender is MORE IMPORTANT** than coming out with a highly requested and needed glass break sensor.**

@Marley_Ring wrote:

_We recommend using Alexa Guard, with an Alexa enabled device, to accomplish this. Feel free to add this to our new Feature Request Board, which we continuously share with our teams here! :slight_smile: _

Wrong, have you used the Alexa Guard, it does not work. It even randomly turns on our Philips Hue Lights which can be annoying especially if Alexa Guard is not turned off when we come home. Maybe you like being woke up several times a night because your bedroom lights randomly come on. Give me a break.

Again, I ask Ring Developers – Please explain WHY you have NOT produced a Glass Break Sensor for your Ring Alarm System. Anything other than, it will be release on this date is not acceptable. There are too many people requesting this device and to not produce one is ignorance on Ring’s part.

Regards,

A very disgruntled Customer

1 Like