cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get rid of email verification.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Get rid of email verification.

The email verification code is a total annoyance and I don't need, nor do I want to have to jump through hoops to be able to login to my account.  I wasn't asked, I was compelled to go to this.  This very act is the reason I got rid of my old security system and went to Ring.  I don't want to have to get rid of Ring, but unless I get an opt out or permanent acceptance that I know what I'm doing, I'll have to switch yet again.

I undestand the email thing is mandatory, but come on Ring, give us credit for being adults.

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Neighbor II

Re: Get rid of email verification.

It's not changing. You can get text messages but Ring has to put this in place. There may be an app 2 factor authentication in the future.
Highlighted
Community Moderator

Hi @Desert-DwellerTwo Factor Authentication and Two Step Verification is one of the many steps Ring is taking to bring more security and control to our customers. We're always looking to increase the security of Ring devices and will continue to innovate on behalf of the customer. We will certainly pass along your feedback. Smiley Happy 

Like my answer? Accept it as a solution (click on the 'Accepted Solution' button next to reply). Learn more about the Community, here.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

I fail to understand why I was NOT given a choice to opt out of this.  I am fully capable of taking the necessary steps to protect my devices from hacking attempts.  

As an example, when I tried to reply, it took me two attempts because the first code never arrived in time, still hasn't.  

To compel me to use this is nothing short of tyrannical.  Knock it off!  At this point I am seriously considering ripping everything out that is Ring, throwing it all in the trash and installing another system which won't compel me to have to jump through hoops to log in.  It is total nonsense that I am viewed as a mental defective too stupid to think for himself and who needs Ring as a keeper.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

I agree, This endless verification is unnecessary and annoying. There must be a better way than to require someone to shift to another device or program (email or text) EVERY TIME a login is required. Codes, gestures or something that can be done on the same page would be a big improvement.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

The forced two factor is driving me nuts.  Once I log in from a known device once with the verification code.  Have to always put this in is worthless.  A remember me function is a must!

Highlighted
New Neighbor II

a related observation:

I notice that after logging into this community forum using email verification,  I'm automatically logged out after some relatively short period of time (may 1/2 hr or so?) even if I leave my browser window open.

Then to log in again I of course have to go through the 2 step verification email thing, again. This makes even just using this forum SUPER annoying. I participate in a number of other forum websites regularly, and all of them can remember I've already logged in and will let me stay so for more than a few minutes or hours without re-logging in on the same device.

I get in general why 2FA is a good thing but this is taking it to an extremely annoying level when we're talking about just wanting to use the community forum.  Can at least this forum be fixed so it remembers validated 2FA logins on a given device for a reasonable amount of time?

As it stands, this is a very customer-unfriendly  "feature". 

Highlighted
Community Manager

Thanks for the feedback @abc .  I noticed that adjusting Two-Step Verification to text message is easier for me to log into the Community vs Email. That is just my personal preference for the two. At this time, there is not a way to adjust how to log into the Community, however, we have passed along your feedback to the appropriate team and will start to explore available options. We will share all updates with you in this thread. Thanks!

Got a question? The Community is full of answers! Use our Search bar at the top for quick results.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Absolutely agree.  There is an option to opt in or out of SMS 2-step login so why not for email?  This is a major annoyance.  Please fix it.

Highlighted
Neighbor II

Opt out doesn't work. It's still there but doesn't work anymore. You have a choice of text or email. They are not going to remove it...