Generation 2 Contact sensor tamper notice triggering false alarms

This morning around 3:30am we were startled awake when the alarm went off. I quickly disarmed it because it was so loud even though we didn’t know if someone was really breaking in or not. Upon checking my app it stated: “Back Door Tampered”. However, upon turning on all of the lights and checking the house and the sensor…all were intact. Door was still locked and closed. Frustrated and with a racing heart…we left the alarm disarmed. Later, at around 5:00 am I heard a beep so I looked at my phone and it showed “Garage Door Tampered”. It was still closed and locked. Had I re-armed the system to Home mode it would have went off again. I have 3 sensors that sporadically keep showing this message . Obviously, it’s not an issue when we are home and the system is not armed. But now I am hesitant to arm the system in either Home or Away mode because the high probability of a false alarm, not wanting to be startled in the middle of the night or having the police come if it’s in away mode. This is a 2nd generation system so I’m not sure if they are still working out the kinks. Would have preferred to email this quesiton to Ring but that was not an option. Can anyone help or is anyone else experiencing this? Thank you.

1 Like

Hey @ring_user445. Thanks so much for reaching out to the Community for help on this! I would want to get this addressed as well, so I’m happy to help. When a Contact Sensor is showing as tampered, this means that it will have the cover slightly ajar. The best way to clear this tampered message is to take the cover off and then put it back on, ensuring that it is fully pressed down and locked into place. In the event that you have ensured the cover is still on but the device is still showing as tampered, please try removing the device from your Alarm Base Station, resetting the device, and then re-adding it. Once the device is re-added, ensure the tampered message does not appear or come back! Let me know if this helps. :slight_smile:

4am hone security went off for about 30 seconds. Scared me silly. By the time i got yo the box it stopped. I do not have the alarm set??? I turned all lights on outside - checked all doors…as well as videos / nothing. 11:30pm the ring bell went off - no one / nothing. What do i do ? We Can’t be woke at 11:30 Pm and again at 4 am to false alarms.
Cancel service?

A tampered sensor can usually be resolved by checking mounting and that the cover is in place securely. As mentioned above, try out the steps in this Help Center article to reset the Sensor.

Here is also a great Help Center article for preventing false alarms. If this concern persists, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

Hi Marley/Ring Team,

This is a hardware issue. I have gone through this same situation multiple times - most recently last night. Support, like the replies above, provide canned answers and do not address the issue. We get “ghost tampering” often. Most often it occurs when unarmed. Thankfully. Twice it’s happened when armed.

I want to emphasize that this alert occurring in the middle of the night is completely unacceptable. Myself, and I suspect other customers, are frantically trying to determine if there is an intruder in their home. The app doesn’t even readily post the sensor of concern. So you are trying to get the alarm turned off or be ready for a call from the monitoring service or physically checking your home. In my case, I am making my way through the house armed in case there is an intruder.

The cover appears to have such little tolerance that the tiny switch (Gen 1) inside gets triggered too easily. Even gentle pushing on the cover while attached will initiate the tampering alert. My guess, doors that may slightly flex with temperature swings could be a factor. Perhaps it is firmware.

What I don’t understand, is what’s the relevance of this alert triggering a full on alarm? Is tampered not a separate aspect than an actual opened window/door? Why trigger an alarm when a tamper is detected? What’s the likelihood that someone would be tampering with the contact sensor from within the home when the alarm is set? I don’t get it. An easy fix is to either remove the tamper aspect from the alarm or provide the ability for users to switch a toggle on the device setting while not having to remove the actual device from the armed mode.

I hope this can be addressed or it is time to look for another system.

2 Likes