False Motion Detection

Hello All, I am new to Ring. Last night (wee hours of the morning) my alarm went off, stating motion detected.
As you would expect, it scared the you know what out of me. The thing is, there were no doors breached and no ceiling fans on. I don’t have pets.
Has anyone had problems with their motion detector triggering a false alarm? Any ideas? Thoughts?

Hey @SouthernAM. So sorry this happened to you! I’m happy to help further and see what may have set off this motion detector. Could you take a picture (as if you were the Motion Detector “looking out”) from the view of the Motion Detector? That way, we can see what it is seeing and pinpoint what may have set it off. In addition, you can always take the Motion Detector down, put it in a drawer where absolutely no motion can be detected, and then see if it continues to set off. In the event it may, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Here is a photo of the area covered by the motion detector @Chelsea_Ring. I have been hesitant to use the motion detector since then. The app says the battery is good. Any ideas?

@SouthernAM Thank you for that picture! I see your have fairly large windows, which when the sensor is facing them, can possibly be the reason that it set off your Alarm. Did you have the blinds completely closed this night? I know it happened awhile back, but it’s possible that the PIR sensor that looks for heat signatures may have seen something outside (animal, truck driving by, what have you) and therefore it set off the Alarm. To be on the safe side, we do recommend facing any Motion Detectors away from Windows, so if you can re-place the Motion Detector to not be facing any, give it a try and let me know if it acts up again - hopefully not in the wee hours of the night this time! :joy_cat: