Door sensor continually going offline

The situation: I have a door sensor that continually goes offline, then will come back online at its leisure. There is no rhyme or reason as to why this occurs.

The layout: the sensor is on the man door in a detached garage, approximately 50 feet from the back of my house. The base station is as close to the back wall of the house as I can make it. There is another sensor on the main garage door that is about four feet in front of the sensor that goes offline. This sensor works with no issue.

I have replaced the sensor once, from Gen I to Gen 2, and the problem continues. I can’t move the base station any closer without putting it outside.

Help! I’m so frustrated with this.

Hi @jasonreiss. Our support team can verify this by taking a deeper look into your account and the signal the devices have to your Base Station, but it sounds like the devices out in your attached garage, specifically this one, are having issues staying connection. This is most likely due to the fact that the devices are in the detached garage, as we recommend all Alarm Devices to stay inside the home where the Base Station is located at. Have you tried installing Range Extenders to your system? You may need more than one, as you may need one in a plug closest to the detached garage from the home, and then one in the detached garage.

You can see how much the signal varies to know what kind of Range Extender setup you may need, but it still may have concerns with falling offline due to distance. If you find that Range Extenders are not helping, or want to verify with support the best course of action, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. Let me know what seems to do it for you or how it turns out!

Hi Chelsea,

I just moved the range extender I have out into the garage, but the sensor has not reconnected yet. Is there a way to facilitate that? Also, I only see one type of range extender available on Amazon, is there another style I am not aware of? I will purchase another one if necessary.

@jasonreiss You will want to make sure you get this Range Extender here if you are in the US. You can find the 2nd Generation under the Accessories page from Ring.com as well. You can manually reconnect the sensor by removing it from your Ring app, factory resetting the device, and then re-setting up the sensor in your app. If you cannot bring it online from there, you may need to be in contact with our support team.

OK, I will order the 2nd-gen extender and reconnect the device, then report back. thank you for your help!

1 Like