Door bell camera

My camera activates for about 20 seconds, then shuts down, if someone walks by shortly after, it does not activate. Since Ring doesn’t seem to want to help their customers I’m hoping one of you can help.

@Nosnibor10-9 wrote:
My camera activates for about 20 seconds, then shuts down, if someone walks by shortly after, it does not activate. Since Ring doesn’t seem to want to help their customers I’m hoping one of you can help.

Correct, the activations from motion-detections will record in 20-30 seconds ‘batches’. Then there is a built-in notification-delay (to prevent multiple notifications being pushed to your phone over-and-over again, for the same moving object that started the initial activation).

Maybe you’re not referring to the “Notifications” when you said, “shortly after, it does not activate.” If your “shortly after” is less than 30 seconds from the initial activation, it will appear the doorbell is not activating again, because it is still recording from the first detected motion. You can confirm this by viewing the doorbell’s recorded “History.”

If you mean the Doorbell Cam does not record an event again, it might be a setting on your phone app. Select “Devices” from the main menu > select your doorbell > Motion Settings > Motion Verification (or “People Only Mode” on some Ring devices). If toggled ON, the doorbell tries to make activations more accurate using algorithms, and will not activate for every event. If toggled OFF, then you may get unwanted detections of non-people movements.

Ring Doorbells are Battery-powered devices. Even when you have your doorbell 'HardWired", the battery still is actually powering the doorbell. The hardwired power trickle-charges the battery, but doesn’t power the doorbell. Since battery life can be rapidly depleted, the default setting on your doorbell is set so it doesn’t capture every event. You can change that by selecting the “Devices” from the main menu > select your doorbell > Motion Settings > Motion Frequency > then select “Frequent” (note: the Motion Frequency option is often missed, because you have to scroll down below Motion Schedule).

When you select “Frequent”, this captures/activates much more than the “Standard” or “Light” settings, which are designed to extend battery life by not capturing every event. If again the doorbell detects motion after the initial recording is complete, then it should commence another ‘batch’ recording.

I hope this helps you :slight_smile:

1 Like