Door Sensor reports open status when it appears to be closed

I realize that your job is to keep busy “dumb Users”, but I would expect a competent product ssupport organization to spend a little more effort finding out how and why one of their sensors reports to the controller that it is open and then subsequently indicates an actual open event by flashing the blue light when the door is actually open and then properly reports closed status when the door is closed again. And before you ask, the sensor is less than 25 feet from the controller.

Thanks for the thoughts. In my case this particular sensor is within 25 feet of the controller.

I’ve got a question I’m trying to pull a history from April 7th on my device but it says that my cloud was not active does that mean I can not pull up that day?

Good question @Bobbysmith1029! This likely does mean that you were either not subscribed or the Protect Plus event history time frame was reached, and the date is beyond that.

If you were not subscribed, or subscription lapsed at anytime between now and then, resubscribing will not make those events available. As we value your security and privacy, anything that is stored, is only stored on your account and when subscribed. If you feel as though you should be able to access these events, try removing and reinstalling the Ring app on your mobile device. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

I sent the second picture (up close) of the door sensor and have heard nothing. Did you see the picture? Is it ok?

Sorry about that @New_Smart_Home! I did see that picture, and the mounting looks excellent. The grooves look to line up, and the space between does not look too great.

If the Sensor is not updating the status properly, please also consider distance to the Base Station to determine signal strength and efficiency in communicating the open/ closed alerts quickly. Feel free to let us know how this goes! :slight_smile:

I gues that you did not read my prior comment regarding distance:

_ “And before you ask, the sensor is less than 25 feet from the controller.” _

Thank you for reminding me of that @New_Smart_Home! With your example showing proper mounting, and connection variables being checked, this should be working as intended.

If the steps for removing/ re-adding and the steps for a Sensor reset, from our help center article, does not help to resolve this concern, the best next step will be to reach out to our support team. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

After getting several "contact open " false status conditions where the blue led flashes and the ring system announces an open condition once the door is actually opened it has been necessary to do a full factory reset to reactivate the sensor.

1 Like

I just set up my ring alarm today and am having this exact same issue on my back door. Is there a way to fix this?

I have the same issue. My entire system has worked flawlessly for about 6 mos. This just popped up yesterday. Removed sensor from door (received tamper alert), removed and replaced batteries and still shows open.

I started to have the same problem today tried all the tips to fix it and no good need help or replacement for the sensor

Hey neighbors! If the suggestions in this thread weren’t helpful in resolving your concerns with your Contact Sensor, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here so they can further assist you. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. Feel free to report back on what solutions our support team recommends as well. :slight_smile:

Is this the new sensor, v2? I have the same problem. Called support andb was asked the same questions. Had one replacement and now another door is having the same issue. The sensors don’t work properly and ring is trying hard to pretend it’s our fault. What are you all doing to fix this? Luckily I have not had a sensor report open while armed, which risks a fine if the police are called. Please move past denial and deal with this issue.

I had the problem with 1st gen sensor replaced with second gen AND still wont “close” My next step is to move the base, its a bit far. Funny because it will work for days then gives up, usually after SETTING THE ALARM! Which is nerve wracking.

I am having the same issue - “front door is open” says Ring but it is closed - support by Ring is basically non existent for that reason I would never buy a Ring system again.
Was on the phone for 45 min three times, while the reps were friendly, their english skills were horrible - I am just amazed that no one at Ring can solve this issue!!!

I have to operate my Ring system with the front door sensor disabled??? What good is the system for then? LOL

1 Like

Hi @user15440. If your Contact Sensor is reporting as open when the Sensor is closed, try factory resetting the Sensor and adding it back into the Ring app using the steps under Set Up a Device. It may also be a connection concern if the Base Station is particularly far away from the Contact Sensor. You can use a Range Extender to help strengthen that connection by placing it around halfway between the Contact Sensor and the Base Station. If this concern persists, please follow up with our support team at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

Ring chat support is useless and irresponsible. My chat was ended abruptly.

Hi @user37734. Ring chat will time out and automatically close if no response is detected within the time limit. If you have a concern that you’d like help with, you can create a new topic.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.