Door Sensor reports open status when it appears to be closed

I have a problem with door sensor(s). The door sensor reports open status when I attempt to arm the system. When I go to the reported door, which is closed, when I open it the sensor flashes blue light indicating that it has opened, despite the fact that it was reporting open status while closed. To make it work properly again I only have to open / close the door a couple of times and all will be well another few days or weeks.

I have already had one replaced for this problem and now I have a second sensor failing in the identical manner. I’m beginnig to wonder if this is actually a contact sensor issue or a controller firmware issue.

Hey @New_Smart_Home. Could you take a picture of how you have both of the sensors that are causing you concern placed on your door when it is closed, but reading in your app are opened? I would love to rule this out as a concern first!

I am not sure what a picture will tell. In any case I think that I have attached a picture properly. As I said in my original post that the ring controller is reporting an open contact sensor while the door is closed. When the door is open, the contact sensor flashes a blue light that I thought indicated an open condition. Subsequent closing and opening the door a couple of times and the system will go back to normal and report closed. If it maters I have observed this behavior when I attempt to arm the system when leaving the house.

I had this same problem. It turned out the sensor had some kind of error, which they could see, but they could not communicate with it to reset until I moved my range extender closer to this particular door sensor (it had been the furthest one for the extender). They were then able to communicate and update the sensor and it had a better connection to the base station.

@New_Smart_Home Thank you for that picture! Do you mind getting a closer picture, with flash on? What I’m looking for is the notches on the Ring sensor and the magnet to ensure they are lined up. This will be the first step a support agent will do on the phones to rule out if placement is a concern, especially if you are having the same concern on another device. Whenever a door sensor is reading as open when t is not open, it can be a fault in the device itself, a signal interference concern, or the placement is wrong. Since this is happening on more than one device, I wanted to rule out placement first. If you look at this picture below, you can see how the sensor and magnet are lined up with the notches (on both sides of the magnet). These need to be lined up and no more than 1/2 inch apart.

If you see that the notches are not lined up, adjust the placement accordingly and see if this helps. In the event you still find no relief, I recommend following @payinmydues51 guidance and reaching out to support. For support, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Let me know how this all goes! :slight_smile:

I realize that your job is to keep busy “dumb Users”, but I would expect a competent product ssupport organization to spend a little more effort finding out how and why one of their sensors reports to the controller that it is open and then subsequently indicates an actual open event by flashing the blue light when the door is actually open and then properly reports closed status when the door is closed again. And before you ask, the sensor is less than 25 feet from the controller.

Thanks for the thoughts. In my case this particular sensor is within 25 feet of the controller.

I’ve got a question I’m trying to pull a history from April 7th on my device but it says that my cloud was not active does that mean I can not pull up that day?

Good question @Bobbysmith1029! This likely does mean that you were either not subscribed or the Protect Plus event history time frame was reached, and the date is beyond that.

If you were not subscribed, or subscription lapsed at anytime between now and then, resubscribing will not make those events available. As we value your security and privacy, anything that is stored, is only stored on your account and when subscribed. If you feel as though you should be able to access these events, try removing and reinstalling the Ring app on your mobile device. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

I sent the second picture (up close) of the door sensor and have heard nothing. Did you see the picture? Is it ok?

Sorry about that @New_Smart_Home! I did see that picture, and the mounting looks excellent. The grooves look to line up, and the space between does not look too great.

If the Sensor is not updating the status properly, please also consider distance to the Base Station to determine signal strength and efficiency in communicating the open/ closed alerts quickly. Feel free to let us know how this goes! :slight_smile:

I gues that you did not read my prior comment regarding distance:

_ “And before you ask, the sensor is less than 25 feet from the controller.” _

Thank you for reminding me of that @New_Smart_Home! With your example showing proper mounting, and connection variables being checked, this should be working as intended.

If the steps for removing/ re-adding and the steps for a Sensor reset, from our help center article, does not help to resolve this concern, the best next step will be to reach out to our support team. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

After getting several "contact open " false status conditions where the blue led flashes and the ring system announces an open condition once the door is actually opened it has been necessary to do a full factory reset to reactivate the sensor.

1 Like

I just set up my ring alarm today and am having this exact same issue on my back door. Is there a way to fix this?

I have the same issue. My entire system has worked flawlessly for about 6 mos. This just popped up yesterday. Removed sensor from door (received tamper alert), removed and replaced batteries and still shows open.

I started to have the same problem today tried all the tips to fix it and no good need help or replacement for the sensor

Hey neighbors! If the suggestions in this thread weren’t helpful in resolving your concerns with your Contact Sensor, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here so they can further assist you. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. Feel free to report back on what solutions our support team recommends as well. :slight_smile:

Is this the new sensor, v2? I have the same problem. Called support andb was asked the same questions. Had one replacement and now another door is having the same issue. The sensors don’t work properly and ring is trying hard to pretend it’s our fault. What are you all doing to fix this? Luckily I have not had a sensor report open while armed, which risks a fine if the police are called. Please move past denial and deal with this issue.

I had the problem with 1st gen sensor replaced with second gen AND still wont “close” My next step is to move the base, its a bit far. Funny because it will work for days then gives up, usually after SETTING THE ALARM! Which is nerve wracking.