cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Door Sensor High Battery Usage...

Highlighted
New Neighbor II

Re: Door Sensor High Battery Usage...

Thanks again @Chelsea_Ring for your reply and explanation about the sensor "checking in". Strangely I've never noticed any of my other 6 contact sensors blinking like this. Meanwhile on two separate days in a row now I've seen this particular sensor do so - each time twice within perhaps 5 minutes, repeated on two separate days now.  This sensor is the closest to the base station of all my sensors, BTW so I can't imagine signal strength is an issue. Battery icon is still solid green, though it's only been 4 days on this 2nd battery.

Today when I happened to observe the sensor blinking, I watched a little more closely and noticed it blinked rapidly then went solid blue for a moment, just like described in this other thread I just found.  I wonder if my sensor is defective, like that other person's?

re: contacting support - I actually did email support earlier around the same time I originally posted here in the forum. I got a response from Advanced Support asking for further information. I see from the thread I mentioned above that it's possible to do some sort of remote diagnostic on a sensor, so hopefully they can do that.

However the only return address on their reply was "noreply@ring.com", and so when I replied to them my email of course bounced. I resent my reply to help@ring.com several days ago but did not hear back again.  Is there a better email address to follow up with Advanced Support? 

Highlighted
Community Manager

@abc You make a good point and it is very possible that it might be! In order to see if this is the case fully, you will actually need to call into our support team here. You may also chat in about it if you would like if it's easier, but I do recommend calling as it is faster! 

Normally you could email in before about concerns, but since we have been closely monitoring the situation with COVID-19 and out of an abundance of caution, and in order to protect our team and their families, we've had to temporarily reduce the staffing in our support centers. As a result, we are no longer accepting new support requests via email.

Therefore, that is why you keep getting it bouncing back to you, as it is under a noreply@ring.com email address you are replying to.  Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you but I can assure you they will be able to address this right away for you through the other options. Please let us know how this goes! Smiley Happy 

Like my answer? Accept it as a solution (click on the 'Accepted Solution' button next to reply). Learn more about the Community, here.
Highlighted
New Neighbor II

ok thanks Chelsea, understood. I'll try giving support a call instead

btw I kept an eye on the sensor for a longer period of time and I notice that every ~5 minutes it does the same thing:  rapidly blinks for about 8 seconds then is on solid blue for about an additional 2 seconds.  Repeat again 5 min later. It's no wonder it's wearing down the battery so quickly.

Update:  

I just called Ring support and they confirmed they could see remotely that the sensor is abnormally checking in every 5 minutes.  Since I've already tried removing/reinstalling the sensor to the system and also factory reset and new battery, he decided the sensor must be defective and is going to send me a replacement.

you were right @Chelsea_Ring that calling in gets a quick response.  thanks!

Highlighted
Community Manager

@abc Good to note that this does seem to be a reason for a replacement, and glad to hear you were able to get that sorted out quickly! Smiley Happy 

Like my answer? Accept it as a solution (click on the 'Accepted Solution' button next to reply). Learn more about the Community, here.
New Neighbor II

quick follow up. I received a replacement contact sensor via FedEx a few days after talking to phone support.

I confirm the replacement sensor appears to be acting normally, no more "checking in" and blinking unnecessarily every 5 minutes. So original sensor must have been defective - returned using the enclosed return label - easy.

thanks again Ring for the prompt support.