Door Sensor High Battery Usage...

I have a brand new Ring Alarm system, installed just 12 days ago. Today one of my contact sensors started sending low battery warnings every few minutes. When I check in the app, the device page shows an empty red battery icon and warns me of a very low battery. I’m pretty sure when first installed the battery icon was full, I would have noticed in the app otherwise as I did study each sensor setup page in detail during installation.

The particular contact sensor was purchased in a 6-pack of contact sensors - the other 5 sensors from the same pack all still show full battery status. The door where this contact is installed has never been opened again after the initial installation and testing of the sensor 12 days ago, so it’s not in a high usage area. It is also the closest sensor to the base station, perhaps only 8ft away.

I deactivated the sensor from my system and removed the battery so it wouldn’t keep constantly sending the error message. If I measure the no-load voltage of the battery with a multimeter, it shows about 2.75V. The date code on the battery itself is “01-2029”

I’m wondering if I got a defective contact sensor that is either draining the battery excessively, or perhaps just mis-reporting the actual voltage and incorrectly thinks the battery is low. Other than just installing a new battery (unfortunately I don’t have a new one handy), is there something else that can be done to check the sensor? or is this perhaps a known defect with some sensors?

1 Like