cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the retrofit alarm kit support wired motion sensors?

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Does the retrofit alarm kit support wired motion sensors?

I have a pretty simple setup today, a two wired door sensors plus two wired motion sensors.  Are wired motion sensors supported by the retrofit kit?

Thanks!

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Community Moderator

Re: Does the retrofit alarm kit support wired motion sensors?

Hey @sirfergy! This and more can be found through the links in our Community post about the Alarm Retrofit Kit. If you are unable to find the exact solution, check back here to see if other neighbors have shared a similar experience with their Retrofit Kit throughout the Community. Smiley Happy 

Like my answer? Accept it as a solution (click on the 'Accepted Solution' button next to reply). Learn more about the Community, here.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Thanks for the reply.  I went through that, and it says just contact sensors.  That seems really limiting.  Smiley Sad

Highlighted
New Neighbor

I could not get it to work. The motion sensor that I have needs external power as well. Even after providing external power to the motion sensor the Retrofit Kit would not see the motion sensor.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

I have a wired motion sensor and powered it externally (using my existing board) and it was recognized by the retrofit kit. However, configuration options for the mode are limited to either a primary, secondary door or window, not specifically as a motion sensor, which seems to be causing me some issues. It also results in constant event updates to status in the apps, as there is no way to disbale a window or door in "disarmed" mode.

It would be great if there was an option to add a zone on the retrofit kit as a motion sensors (assuming you have externally powered it) and handle it accordingly. Maybe a software update?

Highlighted
New Neighbor II

If the motion sensors don't require separate power to them then they should work just fine.  The Retrofit Alarm Kit installation directions seem to indicate that motion sensors do require an external power source but there's little detail.

I installed two retrofit panels - one for the casement (crank handle) windows in the front of the house and the second for the casement windows in the kitchen.  Ring's sensors are much too large to use with casements.   A limitation with the retrofit kits is that the Ring system sees each panel as one "device" and I want to know which set of windows would be triggering an alarm, hence the need for two retrofit panels.  That aside, we have two Ring motion sensors on our system and we'll be adding a third.  They're really easy to install and when tested worked as expected and worth the $30 investment.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Where would motion sensors get power from if not their panel? And I presume that means I’d be out of luck using my wired motion sensors that pull power from the panel.
Highlighted
New Neighbor II

There are a range of products so it's hard to tell without knowing the manufacturer and model of the motion detector that you have so it can be researched to know if it can work.  If there are more than two wires for a wired motion detector then it's likely to require external power and be incompatible with the retrofit alarm kit panel.  A new Ring motion detector runs $30.00 with a 15% discount if you first subscribe to Professional Plus alarm monitoring.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

i recently moved into a new home which had a hardwired system with one hardwired motion detector. I installed the Ring Base system with the retrofit kit. The system works perfect including monitoring of the existing motion.  I used the existing panel's power supply (and battery back-up) to power the motion detector. Very impressed! 

One main issue is that the motion is located on the first floor living room which creates a tone every time motion is sensed.  

QUESTION: Is there a way to deactivate the alert tone for ONE zone (ie the motion detector-Zone 6 on my kit) vs alert tone for the entire retrofit kit? I'd like to keep the doors and windows alert tones activate while muting the motion. I believe the base station sees the kit as ONE device rather then 8 individual zones. 

Other then this minor annoyance the retrofit kit worked perfect, easy to install, easy to program. 

Highlighted
New Neighbor II

No, not directly.  Motion sensors need power to work and retrofit kits don't provide that.  The directions do indicate this but I don't remember where exactly.

The Ring motion sensors are battery powered and wireless.