Disable keypad's "full battery" indicator LED light

@Gsxr wrote:
The question is, are they really working on it? When we keep getting this same update for an extended period of time however, we don’t see any progress one would wonder is anyone actually still working on it.

I doubt they’re working on it, probably just trying to quiet us down here… for several months this has been the single most requested change

3 Likes

@Ring, y’all have time to post silly videos and contests…

but decide to ignore the customers and issues in the two most active threads in this entire forum community (counting views & replies, excluding employee made threads)?

Alerts open full screen video & disabling the full battery indicator can’t possibly take more than a month to implement, which shows y’all aren’t even working on these issues.

Y’all need to be more responsive and fix these things before we start lodging reports with the FTC…

3 Likes

An alternative may be to create a different keypad mount, with a swinging or sliding front piece that can cover portions of the keypad to block the battery light and dim the status lights. You have our addresses. Design/procure new mounts, mold them, package them and mail them out to everyone with keypads.

Problem solved!

1 Like

I have the same concern, my bedroom keypad just glows at night, and is keeping us up. It should only be a matter of a firmware update. When the unit is plugged into the wall, both the battery indicator plus the status indicator stay on. When the unit is unplugged from the wall, both are out, but the status indicator comes on with a keypress. The battery indicator should do the same in both instances regardless if it plugged into the wall or not. Once it is a full charge, shut it off until a keypress. Or, maybe dim it at night to somewhere around 25% power.

I have gotten into the habit of unplugging the unit from the wall at night, and then back in during the day.

1 Like

I see two issues with the keypad: (1) There is no reason for a bright green light to remind me the battery is fully charged. Either dim it or turn if off altogether after charging as others have suggested. (2) Why is the battery light so large to begin with? A much smaller LED is just as useful and would not have to be very bright. If the keypad had been market-tested before full production, all of these faults would have come to light (pun intended) and adjustments could have been made before selling the first unit.

4 Likes

Yep this is also the case with the flashing charging indicator.

1 Like

How is this not an option that light is blinding and all other lights can be dimmed!

I hardwired my keypads because I wasn’t comfortable trusting the battery but that light is insane. I talked to customer service and they didnt seem to think anything was in the works.

2 Likes

The battery lasts a long time, you can trust it. I have gone a month without it plugged in. I know the issue is the lights, but you can rest easy about the battery.

Agreed. I have my keypads hardwired to my existing wiring from my old alarm (using the 24v to 5v USB adapters). For now, I leave the alarm panel unplugged and will plug it in when the keypad batteries get low to charge them up for a day, and then unplug once done.

1 Like

Please please please add this feature.

3 Likes

Even with a three layer thick a piece of painters tape over it, it is still too bright. This shouldn’t be a hard change.

1 Like

Please, please, please allow us to disable. I just hooked ours up last night and that thing is ridiculous. Thanks.

2 Likes

Just got my alarm yesterday and… yup, you guessed it, I am here and can not believe the intensity of the GREEN LED.

H E L P.

3 Likes

I just installed the Ring alarm system with the keypad in the bedroom (prior to seeing this forum) and I agree the battery status light is like having a green strobe light in the bedroom - very distracting at night while trying to watch TV or sleep. I would prefer to be distracting when there is a battery issue - not have this be normal operation (manage the exception).

2 Likes

Does Ring even look at these messages? The chain of this message has been going for 7 months and no comments from Ring

2 Likes

No they don’t it’s a community forum. The only way to get it addressed is to raise a support case referencing it.

1 Like

Yup, this light is pretty bright and difficult to sleep with.

1 Like

All the lights should be much dimmer. We’re probably going to put it in another room. By far my biggest complaint about the system so far. (Just installed it tonight).

1 Like

I hope I am not missing something in the thread here or just being too obvious but the lights do seem to get very dim when the keypad is not plugged into the power supply. Okay, they’re not really dim, they’re off. They light back up if you touch a button. You can just plug the power supply into a timed outlet (smart plug or old fashioned timer) so that it only charges during the day and you rely on battery power at night. What do you think?

1 Like

Also, buttons light up if the keypad detects motion (your hand gets close) when power save mode is off.

1 Like