Disable keypad's "full battery" indicator LED light

Yeah I call BS on this being an engineering limitation.

(I am a software engineer)

1 Like

Ugh. I just don’t understand why the brightness setting in the app does not control all the lights one the keypad. Seems like a big miss for the Ring team.

I was asked by two neighbors recently about my experience with the Ring Alarm system and this was my major complaint.

Please update.

1 Like

The only options appear to be tape, or unplug and run off battery. Though I’ve noticed that running on Battery causes the door entry “chirps” to be out of sync with each other. I have two keypads and the base station that all play chirps at different times when on battery, but are perfectly in sync when running on AC. The app used to warn about this when enabling chirps on keypads…

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s a huge design fail on the super-bright always-on green battery LED (when keypad is powered)! Should have had it only light up on motion sense like the keypad digits when the battery is fully charged. Even if it does require a hardware change, PLEASE rev the hardware soon and fix it! Your customers are suffering.

While you’re at it, the keypad & mounting bracket have a major design flaw in that they do not easily support the USB power cable coming out of the wall instead of hanging straight down outside the wall (in which case you can use the groove in the back). It’s just BARELY possible to slide the keypad into the mount when the cable is coming through the wall, and requires bending the heck out of the cable (likely to fracture wires if done repeatedly).

2 Likes

This response was nearly a year ago. I recently installed Ring and am dealing with the same issue. There HAS to be a fix for this, especially knowing that your users are literally losing sleep due to your product.

2 Likes

The only fix is to use tape or return it. Sad but true.

2 Likes

The big question is, does the soon-to-be-released second generation keypad have this issue (or anything like it)? It appears to be a completely new design, so presumably they wouldn’t make the same mistake twice.

Please give us this feature update, thank you!

2 Likes

Of course they won’t push an update, they want us to spend $50 on new keypads that don’t even have this LED!

3 Likes

Another request for this feature please!

1 Like

I probably already know the answer to this but I have to ask -

Is the super bright green light battery indicator issue ever going to be addressed or is the solution electrical tape?

If it is not going to be addressed it would be nice if Ring provided a very dark gel circle to place over the light that would effectively make it very dim but still allow a trouble light to show.

And maybe acknowledge it was a very poor design.

No it will not be fixed. There is no way to fix the light issue with software changes.

Ring has since released a newer keypad with no lights. So we either buy a new one or use tape…

Has a solution been found after all this time? Can keypad lights be dimmed?

It’s been stated by Ring, that it can’t be done due to the hardware. So, there is not fix coming. Most just place tape over the light…

Re: Disable keypad’s “full battery” indicator LED light

1 Like

Just today I noticed that the green battery indicator is off. Did it break, or is this intentional? Perhaps I am blessed either way!

1 Like

My is off now also as of Friday. Not sure why though.

My green light just disappeared after a firmware update.

1 Like

Can confirm, three keypads that are plugged in 24/7 received the firmware update this afternoon (4-17-21) and the green lights on all three are now off while plugged in.

I noticed the mode LED (blue for disarmed, red for home and armed) now blinks or flickers once a minute on the keypads. It might have always been that way, but if it was I never noticed it before. It happens very briefly and if you blink you’ll miss it, so maybe I just never noticed it before. I got a stopwatch and timed it and it happens at exactly one minute increments, so it seems intentional.

Edit: Upon closer inspection, the flickering of the mode LEDs is not really at one minute intervals, and appears to just be random and frequent.

Hi neighbors, there was a recent firmware update that addresses this neighbor-requested features. When your Keypad is fully charged, the battery icon LED will now turn off. In addition, when using a Keypad that is plugged in, the mode LED will blink once a minute to remind you of your alarm’s current mode.

2 Likes