Disable keypad's "full battery" indicator LED light

All the lights should be much dimmer. We’re probably going to put it in another room. By far my biggest complaint about the system so far. (Just installed it tonight).

1 Like

I hope I am not missing something in the thread here or just being too obvious but the lights do seem to get very dim when the keypad is not plugged into the power supply. Okay, they’re not really dim, they’re off. They light back up if you touch a button. You can just plug the power supply into a timed outlet (smart plug or old fashioned timer) so that it only charges during the day and you rely on battery power at night. What do you think?

1 Like

Also, buttons light up if the keypad detects motion (your hand gets close) when power save mode is off.

1 Like

Installed control panel in bedroom yesterday, will put tape over green light today! Come on Ring, let’s get a fix for the battery light!

2 Likes

Seven months of continual complaints about the bright green battery light hasn’t resulted in a fix, so surely adding my complaint to the stack will be helpful so here it is. Mine is covered with tape also and yes it looks stupid. It was so bright that it could serve dual purpose as a tanning bed if it weren’t for the alien green ____ tone issue. I planned on adding additional keypads but that’s no longer being considered; in fact, I stopped adding to my two systems I’ve started thinking I may need to cut my losses and consider other systems with more camera options and better support. My neighbors incident map is centered on an address I’ve never heard of and Ring cannot find a solution for that either. Oh, and the alarm licensing people at Ring insist that a city in which I don’t live requires me to obtain a permit. Sigh. Seriously guys, at what point are y’all going to be embarrassed enough to consider some restructuring of your engineering support division?
P.S. I was not allowed to say “alien green ____ tone” because it is considered profanity. I’m not kidding. I attached a screen shot to prove it. I hope no one is offended, LOL!

2 Likes

Just installed Ring. I agree with everyone here, the green battery indicator light is INSANELY bright. It’s almost a deal-breaker for us. Is there any direct line to customer service that will allow us to complain in person, in case they are ignoring the community chat?

1 Like

It’s been forwarded by the Ring staff here already. But you can call and tell them.
Call Us
US: +1(800) 656-1918 (24/7)
US: +1(888) 981-8993 (Español - 24/7)
INTL: +1(310) 929-7085 (24/7)

3 Likes

I hate to break the bad news to y’all, but I think we’ve all been “had.” I’ve been “sort of communicating“ with a Ring Alarm Neighbor Advocate that identifies as “Heather K.” but I really don’t believe this person exists. The same rhetoric that is here shows up in emails to me explaining their deep concern and promise that a fix is on its way. Mind you, dimming this LED has now baffled Ring’s engineers for 7 months…but rest assured they are diligently working on a solution. I’m pretty sure no one at Ring is reading these posts at all. After a quick deflection of the issue by Ring upon first posting, the rest of the complaints go into some cone of silence. But that’s just the start… here’s some more frustration for you too look forward to… wrong addresses show up on the “incidents map” in the Ring app and they can’t fix it. Ring’s Alarm license team doesn’t really know if you need an alarm permit or not (be sure to double check with your local government because I was told to obtain a permit from a city I don’t even live in). The automated system that responds to an alarm activation has my name wrong. Something is wrong in Denmark, folks. It’s not business as usual at Ring.

1 Like

I just spoke with Cammy at Ring support. She confirmed that this request has been forwarded to the Ring developers many times, but that the developers have determined that the battery LED cannot be disabled due to design limitations of the keypad. In other words, it’s going to take a hardware change, not just a firmware and app update. Cammy at Ring said the only way to turn off the battery LED would be to unplug the keypad and let it run on battery, but doing so would also turn off the alarm status LEDs (Away/Home/Disarmed).

So, I just put tape over the battery status light since I don’t want to give up having the alarm status LEDs constantly illuminated (but dimmed). So that the tape doesn’t look so stupid, I plan on picking up some white electrical tape to hide the darker tape (silver aluminum HVAC tape) that I’m using to obscure the green light.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this. I had a feeling it was going to be a hardware issue. I know they sell sheets with cutouts made to cover all the lights we have today on almost every device. I think I saw them on Amazon. Different colors and of course black and white. It’s become so bad someone now sells stickers…

1 Like

Since its USB powered it seems the final option is to add an IOT controlled smart plug with switchable USB port that can be used to set a charging schedule so it only charges at convienient times. This way the light would be off when its not charging.

This may do it but sure there are lots of other options. Smart plug

Hi,

What’s the status of this fix? The green battery light is most annoying.

Thanks.

There is no fix… Tape is all that works. Ring stated it’s working as intended.

1 Like

Same issue with green light. I just got a new system and I thought the light was on and indicating an issue with the battery. It is annoyingly bright.

3 Likes

@hmay wrote:

I just spoke with Cammy at Ring support. She confirmed that this request has been forwarded to the Ring developers many times, but that the developers have determined that the battery LED cannot be disabled due to design limitations of the keypad. In other words, it’s going to take a hardware change, not just a firmware and app update. Cammy at Ring said the only way to turn off the battery LED would be to unplug the keypad and let it run on battery, but doing so would also turn off the alarm status LEDs (Away/Home/Disarmed).

So, I just put tape over the battery status light since I don’t want to give up having the alarm status LEDs constantly illuminated (but dimmed). So that the tape doesn’t look so stupid, I plan on picking up some white electrical tape to hide the darker tape (silver aluminum HVAC tape) that I’m using to obscure the green light.

I have been in engineering for over 2 decades, if the LED can blink, change colors, or turn off when not charging… it can be turned off via a firmware update. Ring’s developers are either too lazy to work on a fix or their managers won’t let them… either way, I can assure you this can be addressed. They even put in a slider to control the brightness of other LEDs… they just don’t want to give in on this.

If you’re gutsy enough to crack it open just unsolder the LED. There were no screws holding mine together, just pressure clips. It took some work but was worth it.

I suggest we keep calling them about it

2 Likes

Yeah I call BS on this being an engineering limitation.

(I am a software engineer)

1 Like

Ugh. I just don’t understand why the brightness setting in the app does not control all the lights one the keypad. Seems like a big miss for the Ring team.

I was asked by two neighbors recently about my experience with the Ring Alarm system and this was my major complaint.

Please update.

1 Like

The only options appear to be tape, or unplug and run off battery. Though I’ve noticed that running on Battery causes the door entry “chirps” to be out of sync with each other. I have two keypads and the base station that all play chirps at different times when on battery, but are perfectly in sync when running on AC. The app used to warn about this when enabling chirps on keypads…

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s a huge design fail on the super-bright always-on green battery LED (when keypad is powered)! Should have had it only light up on motion sense like the keypad digits when the battery is fully charged. Even if it does require a hardware change, PLEASE rev the hardware soon and fix it! Your customers are suffering.

While you’re at it, the keypad & mounting bracket have a major design flaw in that they do not easily support the USB power cable coming out of the wall instead of hanging straight down outside the wall (in which case you can use the groove in the back). It’s just BARELY possible to slide the keypad into the mount when the cable is coming through the wall, and requires bending the heck out of the cable (likely to fracture wires if done repeatedly).

2 Likes

This response was nearly a year ago. I recently installed Ring and am dealing with the same issue. There HAS to be a fix for this, especially knowing that your users are literally losing sleep due to your product.

2 Likes