Color Options for Contact Sensors

Different colors for door contact sensors, similar to the different colored covers that come with the doorbell. It would help them blend into the door’s trim and be less noticeable.

13 Likes

Don’t you want them to be noticeable? That is one thing I like about the white sensor on my brown aluminum windows. Anyone who walks up to a window or sliding door can see it from the outside. IMHO the main purpose of a security system is to deter someone from wanting to bother my house, go somewhere else that is easier. Obvious sensors and cameras - a good thing. Much better than a not noticable system that alerts you only AFTER they are penetrated. Deterrant, they key word.

Just a different point of view.

If I had contact sensors, I would put them on the inside where they couldn’t be tampered with. I wouldn’t really want them to stand out so much on the inside of the house; that’s why some different color options would be nice to inculde.

3 Likes

@Ben wrote:

If I had contact sensors, I would put them on the inside where they couldn’t be tampered with. I wouldn’t really want them to stand out so much on the inside of the house; that’s why some different color options would be nice to inculde.

Yes, obviously you put contact sensors on the inside. But you can see them from outside looking through the window, before you break in, which is a good thing, IMHO.

I supose you could paint them any color you want. A coat of paint should not interfere with the signal, and certainly not the magnetic field. But Ring may tell you it voids their warranty, just because.

I was thinking more for doors actually. I have casement windows (the crank out style), so contact sensors wouldn’t serve much of a purpose on them.

@Ben wrote:

I was thinking more for doors actually. I have casement windows (the crank out style), so contact sensors wouldn’t serve much of a purpose on them.

I had a house with casement windows once. You would just need one sensor per pane. Mine had two panes. At $20 each the sensors are not that expensive.

@Ben wrote:

One more thought, depending on how close your casement panes align . . . you might be able to put the sensor on one and the magnet on the other, protecting both.

I did this with my sliding doors and passthrough windows. Where the they cross I put the sensor on one and the magnet on the other. Either moves it triggers.

@Brad

A sliding widow or door can be slid open from the outside, but casement windows can’t be cranked open from the outside; it’s more likely that the windows would get broken. I figure it would be kind of a waste putting contact sensors on the style of windows I have; that’s why I was only thinking for the doors. For covering the windows in my home…well I’m still waiting on those glass break sensors, been waiting for over a year; hope they come out with them soon. I don’t want an Amazon Alexa or an Echo, just want some simple glass break sensors.

1 Like

I would purchase this if they had other color options. White sensors on black, brown or bronze windows and doors look terrible. If you want people to know you have a Ring security system you can put the signs in your windows and front yard.

3 Likes

I want a Venetian bronze color like the doorbell cover for the inside of my main entrance door. No burglar is going to see it anyway from the outside and the white looks very tacky on a $10,000 iron door. I understand the point on a window maybe but I want less visible and more blending into my decor. I would have gone with a more expensive alarm system since my house is wired for it but after doing a tone of research, Ring has the best app, most reliable cameras, and inexpensive monitoring.

4 Likes

As to sensors on the windows. I think I need them. A thief will break the window and then open it. They are not likely to try and crawl through the open glass.

I don’t care if the prospective burglar can see the sensor (I don’t trust him to closely scan the window for sensors before he tries to pry it open). But I do want the sensors to blend in with my windows because I look at them.

I guess I could just paint it, but I shouldn’t have to – the Ring security cams are available in black and white, why not the sensors?

I’d look for a third-party option, but third party sensors won’t trigger an alarm.

1 Like

This is great feedback from everyone! Thank you for sharing, neighbors. We’ve shared this feedback with our teams here for future consideration. In the meantime, I also wanted to provide the link to our Feature Request Board. Feel free to vote on any similar requests there, and we will of course continue to share your requests with our teams here. :slight_smile:

Total agree with this idea.
If contact sensors were available in black I would buy 3 more of them for black steel Crittall windows and door.

2 Likes

Would love another colour option for contact sensors, such as brown or black. It’s a missing option on the alarm market which I’m sure would be well recieved.

2 Likes

I’ve successfully spray painted mine. Takes some detailed taping and a small cord to stuff in around the light ring. Probably nullifies any warranties, but looks a heck of a lot better against the bronze window and door frames.

1 Like

Depressing to read that this request is out there for 3y + now. Grey and black windows are very common in the UK for some years now, and this is not a big “ask” of Ring. Instead it is kicked into the long grass. What is Ring’s objection to providing this option?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.