Capability of the Ring Alarm Retrofit Kit

I need help to decide if the ring retrofit alarm kit is capable with my current alarm system. My current system has 15 window sensors on wireless and 5 doors that are hard wired. I’m sure that the two keypads I have should be replaced. Is the retrofit capatible with hardwired sensors or will I have to switch out the doors to wireless? And, is the ring retrofit alarm capable with my wireless sensors or do I need to replace those? What exactly are the limitations of the “retrofit system?”

Where can I find tech support for this question?

This is my current system that is 17 years old:

I was considering the same thing but I ended up just getting a full Ring kit and replaced wired motion and contact sensors with all ring wireless.

Between the cost of the retrofit kit and the installation (I would not be able to do it on my own) it was more expensive to get the retrofit kit.

Plus with the wireless contact sensors, I was able to add secondary magnets to some windows where I can have them partially opened and still monitored/alarmed. You most likely can’t do that with wired sensors.

I actually had fun setting up the hub and sensors and so far, the system is working great.

Bill

1 Like

@PalmSpringsBill wrote:

I was considering the same thing but I ended up just getting a full Ring kit and replaced wired motion and contact sensors with all ring wireless.

Between the cost of the retrofit kit and the installation (I would not be able to do it on my own) it was more expensive to get the retrofit kit.

Plus with the wireless contact sensors, I was able to add secondary magnets to some windows where I can have them partially opened and still monitored/alarmed. You most likely can’t do that with wired sensors.

I actually had fun setting up the hub and sensors and so far, the system is working great.

Bill

I’m beginning to understand now. You probably can’t answer this question but can both systems -Ring alarm and current alarm- run together?

It won’t run together but depending on your tech skills you can possibly Jerry-rig it to work for your specfic needs. @PalmSpringsBill is right, you are better off getting a new system. No doubt a portion of your 15 windows sensors can be better managed by a motion detector or two.

I just replaced a similar setting as yours.

@PalmSpringsBill I am in similar situation and having same thoughts as you. My question is this: what did you do with your old wired system? The wires that might be in the door sensors for that system, etc? And did you power down the old system? Did you do this yourself? What about the wires in the walls?

It seems to me I should start from scratch and do away with my old system, but I’m concerned about how I deal with the old stuff, put the wiring form keypads back in walls safely, etc.

Thanks.