cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancel Alarm Call

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Cancel Alarm Call

Tonight we had a false fire alarm, something we were cooking was smoking up. FOr some reason the Ring telephone call went straight to voicemail on my phone, my wife's phone was dead. She went to the keypad and (we thought) disabled the alarm. A few minutes go by and there are firemen at our door. I called RIng and was told this only silences the alarm. It doesn't make much sense to me that on a door sensor trip the keypad can disable an alarm and prevent police being dispatched, but the same can't be done for fire alarms. 

A feature to diasable the fire dispatch through the kepad would be great.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Cancel Alarm Call

Sorry to hear about this experience @johnwt88! It sounds like the responders may have been dispatched after the failed contacts, leaving little time to reverse this. If you are only using 2 contacts, I recommend including a 3rd if possible. As we are always working to improve our neighbors' experience and you've shared an excellent use case, I'll be sure to deliver this feedback to the appropriate team. Smiley Happy 

In the meantime, feel free to check out our help center article for tips on preventing false Alarms. 

Like my answer? Accept it as a solution (click on the 'Accepted Solution' button next to reply). Learn more about the Community, here.
Highlighted
New Neighbor III

Marley,

Wasn't clear from your response. If you have a false fire alarm is there a way to "disarm" it before people are dispatched? Can you do it from the app?

Or do you have to answer the phone call from Ring to do it?

Thx

Highlighted
Community Manager

Of course, @CrazyCat!  I'd be happy to clarify.

There are only certain dispatch instances that can be cancelled. For this specific instance, a fire alarm dispatch is usually unable to be cancelled. A burglary alarm, however, can be cancelled by disarming as soon as possible.

Check out this help center article which breaks down how each Alarm event is handled for dispatch. You'll see a special note under each description which will indicate if it can be cancelled or not. Smiley Happy 

Like my answer? Accept it as a solution (click on the 'Accepted Solution' button next to reply). Learn more about the Community, here.
Highlighted
New Neighbor III

My question is more nuanced.

For a normal alarm, my Ring app shows the alarm (siren) going off if it is tripped. If I disarm the alarm (siren) within 30 seconds I will not get a phone call from monitoring and no police will be dispatched.

Does the fire alarm work the same way?  Does the app allow we to cancel the alarm BEFORE a dispatch has happened.

/* */