Can 2nd Gen Contact sensors mount with screws

Or only double sided tape? Thank you.

1 Like

Great question, @Jeffaz16! When receiving new Alarm devices, the sensors should come with double sided tape for mounting. This will be for convenience in mounting the Contact Sensors and Motion Detectors, however, heavier items like the Keypad or Base Station should be secured with hardware if mounting. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Jeffaz16 wrote:

Or only double sided tape? Thank you.

Hello @Jeffaz16 ,

Yes, the 2nd Generation Contact sensors can be mounted with screws. The Contact sensor consists of two parts, the electronic sensor half and the magnet half. Both halves each have two pre-drilled holes in the base for using small mounting screws.

The electronic sensor is easy to screw-mount because you can just slide off the electronic portion off its base, just like you would if you were going to change the batteries. Be careful not to damage the tiny plastic Tab that acts as ‘lever-switch’ to alert the Base Station that this sensor is “Tampered” with. After installing the screws, slide the electronic sensor back onto its base. If the sensor has already been “activated” before you screw it on the surface, you may get a ‘pushed’ text Notification (depending on your App setting) that it has been “Tampered” with. This sensor will automatically change to “All sensors cleared” (un-tampered) on the App, once you fully slide it back on the base portion.

The magnet half is a tiny bit more difficult, because you have to carefully pry off the cover of the magnet base-portion. After installing the screws, press the magnet cover back onto its base until it “clicks” back together.

Although the Contact-sensors (and Motion-sensors) come with pre-drilled holes for small screws, the screws are not included. You’ll have to buy screws separately. I guess this is because Ring does not know the surface you will be mounting to (metal or wood) or how long/short the screws you will need. When using screws, it is your choice on whether to additionally use the double-sided tape or completely remove the tape (it works fine either way). Ensure you purchase small screws where the screw-head will sit pretty flat/low on the electronic-base portion, so you can successfully slide the electronic part back on without hitting the screw-heads.

I hope you find this information and pictures helpful :slight_smile:

3 Likes

What size screws are they?

Hi there, @RingErik! In most cases, standard drywall screws will work. Of course, the lengths can vary, which can be decided based on your specific mounting area. Just to provide a size, we’ve seen neighbors report that mounting with 1 - 1/4 inch screw works great. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

#4 screws or 3mm is the recommended size that will fit.

1 Like