Automatically shutting off water if a leak is detected

I have a monitored ring alarm system including water leak detectors. I installed a Zwave enabled water shutoff valve. The valve is connected to my Ring hub. Unfortunately Ring does not have a way for a detected leak / flood to do anything other than send me a text message and an automated phone call to alert me. What if I’m in a plane or otherwise out of range of my phone? What value is this Ring equipment then? Zero is the answer and my home could be flooded.

My neighbor has the same shutoff valve and is able to have his water automatically shutoff in the event a leak is detected, via a Samsung Smart Things hub. He has had this in place since 2016. I am wondering why Ring can not or has not incorporated this very simple feature.

Does anyone know of a way to do this via Alexa? I would rather not have to connect yet another hub in my house if it is not necessary.

1 Like

Hi @Bob454! Thank you for sharing this feedback. We are always working to add to and improve on our features and devices. If there is not an integration listed as Works With Ring, you might find DIY solutions from other neighbors in the Community.

As we value our neighbors’ feedback, we’ve created a Feature Request board. Feel free to add this and any future feature requests there. This will help us to organize and share your requests with our teams here, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place. :slight_smile:

The problem isn’t an outside integration, the problem is the Ring Flood Freeze sensor does not allow you to kick off routines even in Alexa like the Ring Contact sensors do for example. Ring needs to add that ability on the backend so the Flood Freeze sensors can be used in routines and automations. Then all the existing integrations Ring or Alex have could be used. The Ring Flood Freeze sensor isn’t as “Smart” as the other Ring sensors or cameras.