Alexa Announcement/Routines on Alarm Activated

Hi All, I’ve just installed the Ring Security System, it’s great! I’m especially pleased with the ability to create Alexa Routines i.e. when this happens Alexa says… I have created such routines that ‘say x’ when Ring is set to Away, Home and Disarmed, and assigned a preferred Alexa device (speaker) to 'announce’… I was also hoping to see an option to create a similar routine for if/when the Alarm is trigged/activated with the ability to ‘announce’ to all Alexa devices i.e. ‘The Security System has been activated… ‘ I live in a 4 story townhouse and the base station is hardly audible from the top floor but every room has an Alexa Device. I have the Ring Doorbell and that’s capable and set to announce to all devices when the button is pressed. Have I missed it in the Alexa/Ring Alarm setup or should this be a ‘New Feature Request’? Thanks for the steer…

Hi @X11. Right now the only Amazon Alexa trigger that is supported is for when you are doing an “Armed in Away” action. You can access this by going to routines -> tap add action -> tap smart home -> all devices -> choose Ring Alarm devices -> Arm Away. From there you can do some brief customization with the Armed in Away actions. You cannot setup Alexa to make announcements when Ring Alarm is alarming yet, but I will make sure to pass on this feature to the appropriate team for you! Additionally, you can setup actions on the away mode, disarmed mode and armed stay (home mode for Ring).

1 Like

Did this functionality go away? When I am creating Alexa routines, all of my ring devices are identified as “unsupported devices.”

Thanks,

B

Hi @BrienCrotty. Make sure you have the Ring skill enabled on the Amazon Alexa app. Once enabled, you should be able to create routines. This Help Center article covers how to do this.

Hi there, do you have an update on this ‘feature request’ please? For me, and I’m sure others, it really would make a good system, simply awesome! Alternatively, are there plans to launch additonal sirens that I could connect to my system, or even to utlise the ring cameras inbuild speakers to broadcast the alarm when trigged? Thanks in advance for the update.

This is not a solution. It only allows a trigger when someone changes the status of the alarm.
The idea is to be able to have a trigger when the alarm is sounding… Ie if a thief breaks in I’d like to be able to create a routine… Not create a routine if I’m putting my alarm in away

1 Like

Ditto the above. I need an Alexa routine when the alarm is triggered, not just when changing modes.

Ie, “do X” when “alarm activated because burglar”. If the feature is there to do stuff when a sensor is triggered (ie, a door opens) then it’s a simple coding addition to add the ability to do the same thing on alarm activation!

Thanks.

An Alexa routine as outlined above (i.e. when alarm is sounding) would be SUPER helpful and amazing. One would imagine it should be very easy to code and add this feature. Don’t know what the delay is…?

1 Like

It looks like this request has been outstanding for more than a year. To my mind this should have been one of the first and most obvious use cases for this technology. How is this not yet delivered?

1 Like

I have unfortunately decided that obvious features aren’t being delivered because there is no incentive for Amazon to do so.

We need a night mode.

We need much better integration between the camera systems and the alarm system, which are clearly separate systems that have been half-assed joined.

We need decent Alexa integration.

We need the ability to distinguish between people and things like spiderwebs, hummingbirds, and a windy day.

We need our cameras to work LOCALLY without INTERNET. This is my final straw. If there’s a storm, and we lose internet, my cameras aren’t usable from the hallway outside my bedroom door such that I can see if an intruder is coming toward my wife and me?

Nice try, Amazon. Finish your product please.

Anybody want to buy my system? I’m saving my money to replace it all.

1 Like