Alarm device configuration and placement

Thank you. I have some additional questions.

I can set Home on a delay for both exit/entry. When I arm Home it does have an exit delay for 60s as expected. However, after it is armed and I open a door or window, the alarm immediately goes off. I have set the entry delay for 60s but it does not wait 60s.

I also had the Home armed, forgot and opened a door. The alarm went off, I pressed the code and the disarm button on the keypad. The alarm kept going off. I tried this two other times and the alarm kept going off. It finally quit as I was searching for my phone.

I turned off professional monitoring for these reasons. Confusion about delays and concern over false alarms from motion sensors.

I have 3 keypads, one at each door and am thinking of getting a fourth for upstairs as I want to place motion sensors on the stairs and in the upstairs hall. Could it be that the keypad simply could not connect to the base station which is in another room but on the same floor?

Do I need another range extender?

@Slinky2 These questions are so great that I moved your response to it’s own post in the Alarm board. The followup questions are not related to the original post and I wouldn’t want neighbors to potentially miss out on this great information.

In hopes of answering your first question about immediate alarming, this might be due to the Alarm component’s configuration. If a Contact Sensor is designated as a “secondary door” or “window”, rather than a “main entrance”, it will sound the alarm immediately when triggered. The same thing goes for a Motion Detector if it were to be set to a “room” rather than an “entry way”. I’ve run into this one myself at home. To alter this setting, visit the Contact Sensor, or Motion Detector, on the device page in the App > tap the cog wheel in the top right hand corner > tap on “Placement” and make the changes you wish.

As for the question about additional Keypad placement and Zwave range, generally a device on the same floor should be ok without an Extender. Zwave reaches quite far as long as there are minimal walls blocking the signal path. If the Base Station is a room or two away on the same floor you shouldn’t need an Extender, however, if there are several rooms separating the two components you may benefit from an Extender. Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other questions!

1 Like

@Marley_Ring wrote:

@Slinky2 These questions are so great that I moved your response to it’s own post in the Alarm board. The followup questions are not related to the original post and I wouldn’t want neighbors to potentially miss out on this great information.

In hopes of answering your first question about immediate alarming, this might be due to the Alarm component’s configuration. If a Contact Sensor is designated as a “secondary door” or “window”, rather than a “main entrance”, it will sound the alarm immediately when triggered. The same thing goes for a Motion Detector if it were to be set to a “room” rather than an “entry way”. I’ve run into this one myself at home. To alter this setting, visit the Contact Sensor, or Motion Detector, on the device page in the App > tap the cog wheel in the top right hand corner > tap on “Placement” and make the changes you wish.

As for the question about additional Keypad placement and Zwave range, generally a device on the same floor should be ok without an Extender. Zwave reaches quite far as long as there are minimal walls blocking the signal path. If the Base Station is a room or two away on the same floor you shouldn’t need an Extender, however, if there are several rooms separating the two components you may benefit from an Extender. Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other questions!

Thanks for putting this in its own thread. Can’t count the number of times this particular issue comes up and I have to explain the sensor configuration issue on other platforms.

Now if you just launch this site publicly so I can link to this post on those other forums, instead of having to type it all out again and again… Any eta on when it’s OK to publicly share this community?

Thanks, that works.

I do have a question about the motion sensors. I have tried the 6-8’ placement in both corners and walls and could not get them to reliably or quickly sense movement. Even standing in front of it waving my arms would not do it.

I ended up placing them in a hallway and a room, in corners, 4’ above the ground. Now they reliably sense movement. Is there any downside to placing them so low? They are out of the way and won’t be bumped. I am also going to place them in the upstairs hallway also 4’ above the ground in a corner.

I also want to be able to turn professional monitoring on and off at will during the day. For example, I want to turn it on at night but have it off during the day to avoid the possibility of false alarms. I think this is possible but I just wanted to confirm.

Thank you for your help.

@abqnm Feel free to share away and refer neighbors to the Community. We are passionate about providing the Community quick access to solutions and beneficial neighbor to neighbor conversations. Please note, we are still working on perfecting our mobile view, so it’s best to advise others to visit the Community on a desktop.

@Slinky2 Happy to hear the change in configuration achieved what you were looking for! As for the mounting height, we recommend 6-8’ but understand environments vary. By mounting it at 4’ there may be a slight difference in total range of detection as well as the ability to not detect pets of a certain size. Otherwise, if it works best for you at that height, that is great. Refer to our Motion Detector Setup Tips for a visual on range of detection.

In regards to switching between Professional and Self Monitoring, that is certainly doable. Check out this Community post for a walkthrough on switching Monitoring modes.