cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alarm Motion Detector Set Up Tips

Community Manager

Alarm Motion Detector Set Up Tips

With so many of our neighbors expanding their ring of security with the Ring Alarm, I wanted to take the time to share some tips for installing your motion detectors. Ring motion detectors are designed to give you peace of mind by letting you know if there is movement in certain rooms when the Alarm is armed. Everyone's home is set up a little different so pick and choose the tips that fit best with your possible setup!

HOW IT WORKS

Your motion detector has a passive infrared sensor that detects large heat signatures. This means your motion detector passively waits for someone to walk into its field-of-view. When it detects a large heat signature while the alarm is armed and set to Away mode. If the alarm is in any other mode when it detects motion it will just send you a notification that it detected motion.

If you take a look at the image below you will see it has 81 degrees of heat signature coverage vertically. Also, From the center of the detector the sensor covers 45 degrees horizontally on either side, 90 degrees total.

Motion-Detector-FOV-from-side-2.png

You may be thinking, “But what about our amazing pup? Won't he set off the motion detector every time he goes for a nap on the living room couch while we're gone?” I am happy to say our motion detectors have “pet immunity.” They are designed to usually ignore anything under 35 pounds. If you set it to minimum sensitivity (less motion events), it will usually only alert you to anything over approximately 55 pounds. So your pup can take a nap without sending you a false alert Smiley Happy Learn more here.

SET UP TIPS

Though your motion detector does not have a camera, it is best to think of the “view” from your device when choosing where to place it. Using the image above you can imagine how a motion detector installed seven feet high on a wall would cover the area in front of it for motion.

• Height - The ideal placement height is seven feet for most rooms.
    • Higher than seven ft. install can result in a large area under the motion detector not being covered. This makes it possible for motion to be missed.
    • Shorter than seven ft. install will lessen the sensor coverage of your room so someone has to walk farther into a room to trigger the sensor, which can lead to missed alerts.
  • Corner vs Wall -  The corner is often the best place to install your device because it is less likely to be noticed by anyone. Also, it is able to better scan more of the room from an angle.
  • Angle - Infrared sensors like the one in your motion detector are triggered easier by someone diagonally crossing the motion zone versus walking straight into it. This is another great reason to install it in a corner of the room.

• False Heat Signatures - Your device senses motion by heat signature so it is best to avoid placing it in a location where a fireplace or heating vent is in its field-of-view.
  • Direct Sun - When placing the motion sensor it is best to avoid placing it somewhere direct sunlight will hit it.

SHOULD I PUT ONE IN OUR MASTER BEDROOM?

A lot of people think that installing one inside the master bedroom is not needed. Actually, it is one of the most important places to have it. This is one of the main places that burglars hit first for valuables. Note: You will want to ensure any bedroom motion sensors are not included in the armed mode or are excluded during night time arming. This will prevent the Alarm from sounding if there is movement in the master bedroom while the system is armed.

Have any questions? Please leave a comment below!

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Re: Alarm Motion Detector Set Up Tips

I have 5 Ring motion sensors in my home.  1 is placed in my side door and garage entryways , 2nd is in my kitchen pointing towards kitchen/dining room opne area and patio door,  3rd one is in my basement pointing towards open area and big entry window I have down there, 4th is installed in my upstairs hallway covering all of that open area and people coming up stairs and the 5th one is near my front door covering that entry area  and main living room area so I got everything pretty much covered and no one is getting in without being alerted. Ring alarm combinded with all my exteior ring cameras and doorbells its like Fort Knox at my house lol. Oh plus i just got a couple Ring Stick Up cam elites for indoor camera montioring when we are gone. 

New Neighbor

I have a lot of sliding glass doors.  Does the motion sensor work thru glass?  do I need to aim it so it does not hit glass doors or windows?  I don't want an alram to go off just because someone leaves something on the porch for me.

New Neighbor III

Since your motion detector is really a heat sensor, it should not pick up body heat from the other side of a sliding door.  But if your glass is in direct sun and heats up the glass during the day, that may be more of a potential problem.  I have had, for years, motion detectors with several different systems facing my sliding doors  from the other side of the room with no problems, but my doors are well shaded from an outside overhang.  Hope that helps!

New Neighbor III

This is in another thread, but since this is a new thread about motion detectors, just a recap so people can find this information . . . 

With a motion sensor you probably want an immediate alarm . . . unless you enter through an entry delay sensor (like a front door) so you have time to disarm.  Well . . .  it turns out this is exactly what a motion sensor does if you set it to Room (immediate).  The system is smart enough to know you entered through a delay sensor, and puts the motion sensor in delay also, to give you that time to disarm.

So with that . . . it would seem the best way to set any motion sensor is "room".  I can see no reason why you would ever want to set your motion sensor to "entry" (and always have a delay).

New Neighbor III

Why does the Motion Detector still "detect" motion when the Alarm System is not armed OR when armed in the "home" mode?

I know that in both of those settings, the alarm is not activated.

But, what is the design reason for the Motion Detector detecting "me"?

Seems like just a waste of the battery's useful life doing so.

I have already turned off all of the chirps (sound) - but it obviously is still detecting motion when there is no need to do so.

Community Manager

Glad you asked @DonC ! The Motion Detector is designed to be actively ready anytime you want to arm your Ring Alarm without delay. Even frequent motion detection uses a minimal amount of power and will not drain your battery.

Like my answer? Accept it as a solution (click on the 'Accepted Solution' button next to reply). Learn more about the Community, here.
New Neighbor

Great post ! Thank you !!

Is there anyway to turn off notifications when you are at home and receive notifications only when you arm it  (away from home)?

Thanks!

Community Manager

Great question @Ring_Neighbour_001! There is not an option to schedule your alerts from Alarm devices, but there are definitely options to customize these alerts. 

If you visit the Ring app dashboard > tap the menu (top left corner) > select Settings > select Alarm Alerts > select "Push" tab > you will be able to toggle on and off the notifications received by various Alarm events and sensors.

If you visit the Ring app dashboard > tap the menu (top left corner) > select Settings > select Mode> you will see Disarmed, Home, and Away. These options will allow you to choose which sensors are included. For example, if you want certain sensors to not be triggered in Home mode, you can choose to exclude it here. 

Smiley Happy 

Like my answer? Accept it as a solution (click on the 'Accepted Solution' button next to reply). Learn more about the Community, here.
New Neighbor

Thanks ! but not the solution I wanted - I wanted alerts and notifications from the motion detector only in "away" not when "home" or "disarmed" - based on this - https://community.ring.com/t5/Ring-Alarm/Motion-sensor-alerts-only-for-away-mode/m-p/1700#M360 - I guess we cannot do this presently...