Alarm Feature Request

I just installed my Ring alarm system (have been using the doorbell for some time) and am quite happy with its ease of use and feature set in general, but I was hoping that its use of Z-Wave would mean that I coiuld integrate it with my existing Z-Wave home automation system. It doesn’t currently appear that I can add another Z-Wave controller (Hubitat, in my case, though I have ISY as well) as a secondary. This is a very common Z-Wave feature and is a glaring omission.

Simple Commands seems useful, but (1) I can’t figure out what the business model is or whether they’ll be around in a year (and the Ring authentication dialog has me submitting to a non-Ring site, which implies that OATH may not be used), and (2) it requires an internet connection. My preferred solutions do not.

TLDR: Let me add another Z-Wave controller/hub as secondary, please? I’d prefer not to maintain two separate Z-Wave networks in my house.

2 Likes

BackEMF,

I think the hub can be connected to an existing network, although it must not have anything paired to it before doing so. See this doc I found on this http://z-wave-assets.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/docs/706/B07D7Q6CHB_-_Ring_Base_Station_-_Manual.pdf?1532938148

Look under “Adding Base station to a Z-Wave Network”.

1 Like

Can you enable a setting that causes the floodlight camera’s siren to sound when the alarm goes off. It isnt particularly useful to only have an indoor alarm if someone trips a sensor.

thanks.

4 Likes

@jPojo wrote:

BackEMF,

I think the hub can be connected to an existing network, although it must not have anything paired to it before doing so. See this doc I found on this http://z-wave-assets.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/docs/706/B07D7Q6CHB_-_Ring_Base_Station_-_Manual.pdf?1532938148

Look under “Adding Base station to a Z-Wave Network”.

That’s interesting. I’ll have to experiment. I wonder if I can add my Hubitat as a generic Z-Wave device and it will join as a secondary.

Thank you!

1 Like

I was hoping that if I engaged the panic mode or if the alarm was triggered, then the alarms on my linked devices (4 x spotlight cam wired) would also sound. I can only see the option to turn on the lights or to record video at the moment.

I figured you would then have both an indoor and outdoor siren which would be insanely good!

2 Likes

@Andrew1990

That would be great! It would basically make dual use of your outside/exterior cameras to make them as outside/exterior alarms.

I can’t find any information about the latest update but it looks like keypads now do enable chirps when sensors are open. They have a noticeable delay for some events but no different than the arm/disarmed.

It would be useful to have enhancement requests listed and voted on instead of as a forum so they can be prioritized by demand and so that we can see delivered features.

1 Like

Yes, use Echo’s as axillary sirens, AND FLOODCAMS!!

It is just silly that these are not integrated fully yet

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more, if the alarm is triggered or panic mode engaged, all sirens in the system (spotlight cam/floodlight cam) should be activated.

2 Likes

I would like to be able to arm and disarm my Ring Alarm from my Apple Watch.

2 Likes

I know that we are able to assign tones to doors, however, there are only five to choose from. Any way there can be more? Specific alert sounds like, “front door” or “side door” etc. I have a two year old who likes to open doors. More chime options would be nice.

1 Like

Are you talking about the tones on your phone? If so and you have an Android phone there is a way to use and make more.

No. Tones through the base station.

Yep, that’s all then. Maybe they can use the USB port for storage so we can load our own chimes and tones. Right now, it’s not being used for anything.

Please, please add volume control to the main station siren. It is much too loud for our situation.

1 Like

I think there should be volume controls for chimes and voice. In order to hear the countdown the volume has to be so loud that the “Disarmed” voice blares throughout the house. I also think you should be able to mute the voice on disarm. I don’t need a loud blaring voice to tell me that its disarmed. Simple feedback from the keypad would be sufficient.

4 Likes

Hello Ring Team!

Recently installed several cameras, doorbell and alram to home, and generally happy.

Couple suggestions for additional items and features:

1 - Add Outdoor (weather resistant contact sensors) for gates and sheds.

2 - Sound all camara sirens and start recording when allarm is triggered

3 - Make Ring App protected , open with touch ID or face recognition

4 - Consider two-way communication through Ring Home Alarm Base

Thank you!

5 Likes

Ditto, where jPojo says this:

“- Single PDF with documentation of EVERY alarm feature. I have found the website material and the simple owners manual to be too “dumbed” down to be helpful and have to resort to spending an extensive amount of time searching the site to see if a feature exists.”

2 Likes

My idea is to connect my outside path lights and floodlights to my alarm and then strobe if my alarm goes off. Also having my cams sirens go off as stated before would help.

5 Likes

The wording of the notifications are a bit clumsy, especially when you just have a single motion sensor in a room.

e.g. it currently sends me notifications such as:

_ Home Living Room in Living Room detected motion at… _

It’s a bit confusing and hard to scan at a glance.

How about omitting “Home” if the user just has a single property? (Or omit it if the name has been left as “Home”.)

Then, in order to avoid the naming awkwardness caused by needing to name the room and sensor, how about omitting the sensor name from a notification if it is set to the same as the room name?

This would then allow for both:

_ Living Room detected motion at… _

as well as

Flat Dining Area in Living Room detected motion at…

So no matter what the user’s setup is, the notifications will be clear.

1 Like