Alarm Feature Request

I use Simple Commands by kloee. In S.C. I create a routine to turn on the Ring Security system in “Home” mode. Then I setup an Alexa routine in “timed” mode and call the S.C. routine as a scene. In my Alexa routine, it also turns off un-needed lamps and changes my office lamp to color red. My normal bedtime Alexa routine does the same actions - Alexa, bed time"

Alexa routine will accept multiple timers

Alexa by itself doesn’t recognize the Ring Alarm System, but Simple Commands by kloee does. You have to get a free subscription to Simple Commands. S.C. can activate, deactivate and recognize the state of the Ring System as well as Alexa controlled devices, i.e., it knows it Ring is “alarming”. Use these features to create an S.C. routine which can run autonomously on a timer or be used in an Alexa timed (or not) routine. I think that Simple Commands has an Alexa skill and your Ring devices have to be installed on Alexa before they can be used in Simple Commands.

This is easier than it sounds and S.C. really expands the usefullness of both Ring and Alexa devices such as smart plugs and ights.

My best use of Simple Commands is to recognize when Ring is in the “alarming” state and turn smart lights, smart plugs and an auxiliary siren.

I believe some improvements could be made to the motion sensors.

If the security system is in a mode in which the motion sensor doesn’t trigger the alarm:

1. Disable the motion detected light. When I’m in my living room the motion detected light flashes every few minutes as I move around.
  2. Disable the motion sensor completely. The frequent motion detection drains the battery unnecessarily, and floods my alarm history with useless info. If the motion sensor was disabled and not just unmonitored I’m guessing the battery would last longer.
5 Likes

Can we please have this?! :frowning:

5 Likes

When I arm the system at night or disarm in the morning, it is way too loud with sleeping kids. However if I lower the volume, then the entry delay sound is too quiet and we accidentally set off the alarm not realizing it was on.
As a user I want to mute temporarily the exit delay when arming the system from the keypad or app so that 1. the keypad and base station do not wake my family at night or in the morning and 2. so that I can still have a high volume when arming during the day or when the entry delay is tripped.

4 Likes

It would be great to be able to change the delay times in Away mode to something in between 0 and 30 seconds! Thirty is too much and zero seconds is too little!

1 Like

Hey @zeb ! This is great feedback, thank you. I’ve moved this over to the feature request thread as this is not possible at this time, outside of manually lowering the volume on the Base Station and Keypad, as well as remembering to readjust for day time on both. I’ll be sure to share this with the team for consideration :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks. One additional note: my wife reminded me that being able to mute would be great for both arming and disarming (mute both entry and exit delays).

1 Like

It would be nice to have the panel more updated with a screen. Once someone rings the doorbell then the doorbell camera will show you instantly whos at the door. Vivint already has this and it was very useful. With Alexa Show/Ipad devices you still have to go through a few clicks or two in order to see whos at the front door.

2 Likes

The point of Ring is cost. With that set up Ring would have to charge more for the equipment and also the $10/month monitoring would be $30 like Vivint.

Thank you for sharing @LJ1 ! I’ve moved this over to the feature request thread so it can be seen with all the other requests that we share with the team. This is something that’s been requested before, which is great because it really builds the value of such a feature.

Keep this amazing feedback coming :slight_smile:

1 Like

Please add a glass break sensor option. That is the biggest holdout I have with Ring at this time.

5 Likes

Thanks for your response!
I really think making this modification to the system/app would be appreciated by many and add to the value and flexibility of the Ring alarm system.

The point of Ring is not cost in reference to the hardware. The monitoring is low-cost, but that also has nothing to do with the camera system.

Just got this system and was surprised with the lack of a very basic feature.

I would like the chime to also have a feature of a voice saying which sensor is open. If you have 5 sensors (like I plan to have) you would want to know which one is open: Garage Door, Front Door, Back Door. For me this is very imporant as I have pets and if a door gets open accidentaly I’d like to be aware which one is so I can chase it down.

In addition if a sensor is open for X amount of time, it should have a voice notification as well.

We are not always with our phones, so, you guys need to keep that in mind.

Add a skill to have Alexa say that as well, just like it does with the Ring Camera: “Someone is at the Front Door” or “Motion Detected”.

3 Likes

I have that with ADT and it sux. If you drop something on the floor or a pet runs too fast, it triggers. If the alarm is on in the middle of the night and the cat drops something on the floor it blows the alarm.

Would love to see an app for Apple Watch that would allow you to arm and disarm from the watch.

5 Likes

Are you developing an LED display to see what doors or windows are open like ADT? I would like to know that from the keypad. Is there a timeframe for something like that? Thanks

1 Like

His

3 Likes