Alarm Feature Request

Please design a simple app for the Apple Watch that has the ability to arm and disarm the alarm system.

16 Likes

Hi,

I recently added a Z-wave light switch to my Ring Alarm system. Can a timer/schedule feature be added to the app so I could set times for when the lights are on? Currently there is just a button to activate/deactivate the light. This didn’t help when I was in a different time zone! Maybe have an option to randomize the start/stop times a little bit too? (+/-30 min from scheduled time).

1 Like

I would like a temperature and humidity sensor (yes, it must also have humidity which does more damage than temperature). It should keep a history of readings (let the user pick how often) available in the app, and also allow alerts at trigger points. This would be a good companion for the water/freeze sensor you already have.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing @Justinb51! I’ve moved this over to the feature request thread to ensure it makes it to our engineer team. We love hearing everyones wishes, and sharing them with the team, keep 'em coming!

1 Like

The motion sensor should have an added delay setting of “auto”. If a delay sensor is triggered then the motion sensor would also be delayed. But if no delay sensor is triggered then the motion sensor would be immediate. Having to set a motion sensor to delay all the time so you can get in the house through a delay door defeats some of its effectiveness.

1 Like

The motion sensor has “auto” built in already. If motion is detected after another sensor is activated on “delay”, the motion sensor AUTOMATICALLY is on delay as well

That is not what it says. The two options are “entryway” (delay) or “room” (no delay). I see nothing in any documentation that explains anyting else. If the sensor already has this “auto” option by default, then it is hidden, and which of the listed options do you pick? And why would they be there?

Yes that is correct, those are your two options and rightly so. I have a ring and have tested this because I had the same question. By setting it on Entryway (no delay) and you were to enter that room through a door that has another sensor, the motion sensor will switch automatically to delay , Giving you time to turn off the alarm.

For example let’s say you have the motion sensor installed on a porch and a stranger were to enter the porch from the outside at night. The alarm siren would go off immediately. But if you were to enter the porch from a door leading from your house into the porch that has a sensor on it, the motion sensor would switch to delay because it knows that it’s you coming from the house And the countdown warning would sound giving you time to turn off the alarm. All you have to do is test it and you’ll see. So set your motion to no delay (entryway )

1 Like

This probably should be in a different thread, but I would expect that if you set the motion detector to “room,” it will always trigger the alarm, but if you set it to “delay,” it will trigger the alarm after a delay only if an entry delay is in progress. It should be easy enough to test the behavior.

Just tested it. Put motion sensors in “Room” (no delay) not “Entry”. And when I entered the front “delay” door the motion sensors did not go off.

But they really should have this be clear in the setup, rather than just “entry” or “room”. However, glad it works!

Thank you JSD for the replies!

1 Like

When looking at sensor details in the app, along with the current battery level display, it would be nice to see signal strength (1-5 bars for example). Would help with placement and dianositcs.

5 Likes

Would be nice for the Ring people to let us know if they’re working on a glass sensor and if so when will it be available

6 Likes

One nice feature of Samsung Smarthings is the abiity to set notification triggers. For example, you can set a motion sensor to send a notification if there has been no activity between 7-10am, or if a specific door sensor does not open between 7-10am, as a few examples. These notifications allow the system to go beyond just being an alarm, but aid in elderly care, for example. I would think this functionality would open more marketshare for Ring, you already have the base infrastructure. And if you do that, I could replace the Smartthings setup at my mother’s house with Ring!

1 Like

I would like to see text notifications. You do app notifications, but they are easy to miss. And email is not as phone friendly. Others do this (Xfinity Home, Smarthings) so I would think this would be an easy notification method to add. App notifications, email and text - cover all the bases.

4 Likes

This would be a great feature. I bet there are a ton of users out there that would like to only use the motion recording feature on their Stick Up Cams when their alarms are armed in Away mode.
Please add this feature! Thanks!

3 Likes

When the alarm siren sounds it would be nice to have the sirens on all the cameras (or which ever ones you set) sound also. The Ring cameras should be able to act as remote sirens.

7 Likes

I don’t own Ring cameras, but I think that the camera sirens can be controlled by Alexa. If that is true you can use Simple Commands by kloee to recognize that Ring is “alarming” and use that as a trigger for an Alexa routine or to run as an automomous routine I do something similar to turn on auxiiary devices (lights and an additional alarm siren) when the Ring alarm is triggered. Simple Commands by kloee is free to use and greatly expands the functionality of Ring and Alexa. For instance, arming and disarming Ring from Alexa routines

The Ring Alarm should be able to work as a Ring Chime with the cameras (just like the window/door/motion chirp tones). I have a camera on my front porch and it would be nice to hear a Ring Alarm chirp when the camera picks up motion.

3 Likes

A few more chime sound options would be nice. That should be an easy one to do.

3 Likes

Other security systems have a “key fob”, that typically can be used to arm or disarm the system. (I’d actually prefer it to act as a Panic Button, but it would need to be built/housed to avoid accidentally setting off the system.)

2 Likes