Alarm Feature Request

Automatically turn off all/or selected motion detection on the cameras when the alarm is disabled. When the alarm is Armed, auto enable motion detection on the cameras.

Alternatively, auto disable the Motion Notifications for any selected cam when the alarm is disabled. When the alarm is Armed, auto enable the notifications.

This would apply to anyone who has the ring app installed for that system. It could also be selected who it applies to.

Thanks

1 Like

I’d love to have a quick way to turn the alarm base station audio on/off/change volume from the dashboard in the mobile app.

We have a pool and we use multiple door contact sensors along with the alarm base station sound as a secondary safety precaution when young kids are in the house.

Right now it takes 7 steps each time to toggle it on and off in the app:

1. Hambuger menu
  2. Devices
  3. Alarm base station
  4. Base station
  5. Audio settings
  6. Slide volume up or down
  7. Save
1 Like

Hello.

I would like to request the ability to have the Ring Alarm base station to activate the Ring Floodlight Camera alarms. This would be a great way to extend the audible alarm. Add the ability for each Flood light camera not only light up during an event, but choose whether or nor to sound each cameras siren as well!

1 Like

Support the connection with Amazon Alexa for more features —

Currently, Alexa can react to the alarm mode (Away, Home, Disarmed). What I would like would be something like the following routine:

Smoke alarm activates and listener triggers Fire Alarm. Front Door unlocks, All Lights On., turn off HVAC/Thermostat

Another tie in would be: Front Door Locks manually, using inside physical lever, Alarm goes into Home mode.

Also, alarm triggered by intrusion: Front Door forced or opened during Away Mode, triggers entryway light.

Front Door Lock open with Disarm. When the system mode changes from Home to Disarm, unlock the Front Door (currently only Lock the door is an option).

I know that these features will work as I had them on my previous Z-Wave alarm system. I think that they would be a well-received set of features.

3 Likes

Is there anyway to have a software alarm panel for the Ring Alarm?

I’d like to have a tablet mounted on the wall that acts much like the panel that comes with the Ring Alarm. It would be a basic keypad running on a fire tablet that can be used by lots of people in my office. I have an existing alarm and want to switch to Ring. My current alarm uses a tablet as a panel and we don’t want to go away from this as it is already built-in to our decor.

1 Like

I am new to this forum and appreciate that Ring wants to improve their product. I apologize if this has already been posted but after reading the last three pages I did not see a post with allowing scheduling of the alarm to arm at Home at a cetain time during the day. With my pervious alarm company, they had a program that allowed the alarm to come every night at a certain time (in my case it was 10pm). This would allow for “forgetful” people like me to make sure the alarm is always armed.

It’s been asked many times. Hopefully they will make it happen. I now use another app to let me do this. Together they allow mine to be set at different times. Even based on my location.

Yes but not a supported feature. I make 3 virtual switches in Smartthings, one for each arming state (Away, Home, Disarm) and I use 3 scenes in Smartthings for each switch on and the other 2 off. Alexa runs the correct scene associated with the arming state because Alexa and Ring have official support and so does Smartthings. I then use Actiontiles to monitor the Home virtual switch to show me if the alarm is armed (no sense in showing if it’s away since no one will be there to see the tablet).

If you then want to be able to control the alarm state you could link Simple Commands behind the scenes.

1 Like

I just got ring set up in the beginning of the month in a very similar way using actiontiles.

Currently I am launching ths ring app with a dedicated Tile. Which has caused false alarms due to the slow processing on the Fire HD tab.

However, I would love to have a button in action tiles that arms and disarms. Can you point me in the right direction of how to set up simple commands to do this??

Heres an image of my current action tiles to give others an Idea of how it can look.

I use Simple Commands. No problems with it so far. Wish that Ring would make it part of the app though.

1 Like

AGREED! I’ll have to dig into simple commands Ive never used it before.

It almost seems that Ring should consider creating a semi dedicated app just for their alarm users with some mega enhancements, automations and alexa integrations. The current app is way to Camera Centric and now that Ring is fully involved in the full scale home security its time to grow up the interface a bit.

Many of us coming from the antiquated Spectum/TWC Intelligent home are finding some major shortcomings in our new systems.

Please make it so I can set the alarm to away mode with my main door open. It’s daft that I have to make sure the door is closed first to start the away countdown, but can then open and close it without affecting arming. My basic wired alarm has no issue starting the arming countdown with my main door open.

Also if any sensors are bypassed please make it obvious in the app. You could have them all bypassed yet in the app it appears as if the system is fully armed.

For those who want auto arming I use an nfc tag which arms it when I go to bed, but it’s a bit clunky.

Also can you add more options to ifttt? I could have alarm arm when nest goes to away etc. I can’t get simple commands in uk.

See my other reply but simple Commands is much like IFTTT. To do what you want you will use IFTTT to post a webhook when the virtual switch is turned on or off and when SC sees that webhook post from IFTTT it will arm or disarm Ring.

I don’t think this would work for me unless I am not understanding you. I don’t want a panel that just lets me arm ad disarm from software UI without logging in. I want individual people to be able to enter their pin code to disarm the alarm like a traditional alarm keypad, but just have the keypad to be software-based. Then I could run the app on a tablet and let the tablet be the keypad for our Ring alarm.

Ring app doesnt have that ability. Thats what we have also been requesting. The app is highly insecure and does not require pin to arm/disarm.

You can create a work around to use a panel like we are talking about.

Or you can mount one of their fisherprice toy looking numeric keypads in its place.

They do allow you to program different users. Not sure how many though… My wife and I use different pin codes.

What was your work around? Do you use a 3rd party software panel? How do you enable different people using different pins and then validate they entered the correct pin?

3rd party Actiontiles. However with out smartthing I dont know what you would need it for maybe someone else can help with what you can do without smartthings and just Ring.

With the standard keypad you can invite additional users who create their own profiles.

Thanks for the tip on simple commands. That made my life much easier and my wife much happier. Happy wife happy life!!

Now if we can get the entry exit delays to sound on my panel/fire hd ill really be in business. Any suggestions??? I really dont want to pay for another smartthings app just to get the delays and havent been able to get them running through anything including my WAM R3s…

Ring product(s) lacks simple features.

Ring is one of the only security companies that doesn’t have geofencing. This feature would be so convenient for my ring alarm system.

Not only that, you can’t even schedule automatic disarming / arming for your security system.

You are even limited to setting custom timers for modes. Why can’t I type any number? Why do I have to pick a preset number? Simple stuff like this…

If you want to compete with other companies you need to stay updated with the features!

3 Likes

SILENT ALARM

I live in a townhouse and as a new Ring customer, I’m trying to avoid false alarms/sirens to not disturb neighbors. One way of doing this at least for the first few days I thought of was to not sound the siren, but receive mobile alerts from sensors. I realized, this can be done with Ring. However, there is no “easy” way to do it. What I’ve decided to do is to leave the alarm in the Unarmed state, but individually enable the various sensor alerts (open/closed or motion alerts). This effectively creates a “silent alarm” of sorts. I think this is a very useful feature… Notification is a power in and of itself, but I wish I did not have to disarm my alarm to do this and/or a one-click setting to monitor all devices would be useful.

In fact, I could see use-cases for always wanting to operate in this mode, especially if cameras are involved, where live feeds can be checked for intruders. Is there any better way to do this? Does anyone else have false alarm concerns? I haven;t heard the siren yet but from what I’ve heard it’s quite loud.