Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New mandatory 2 factor authentication

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Re: New mandatory 2 factor authentication

You may have marked this issue as RESOLVED, but I and others are still having to put up with this nightmare.  This single problem very quickly is making me want to drop Ring completely.  And due to the fact I have recently moved and don't have all of my Ring devices installed, it's not going to take much convincing.  A local alarm company has all the video components you have and I won't have to do a thing, all for $35 a month.  You'd better hop to it Ring.  

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Re: New mandatory 2 factor authentication (THANKS FOR ASKING THE COMMUNITY IF WE WANT THIS FEATURE)

I spend all of my time signing in!  Loathe this product.  It does not recognize me as an authorized user.  Makes me sign in over and over and over on my devices.  How is this seamless?  How does this make an intruder think I am home when I am away when it doesn't let me in when I am home?

@jsoto wrote:

This is terrible.  I have had to enter these codes over a dozen times in the past two hours as I do routine management and maintenance of my multiple lcoations and devices.  Seriously, this has me on the verge of selling the whole pile of stuff.  Moreover, I have two-factor explicitly disabled in my profile yet the setting seems to be ignored.

In case any Ring product manager has really thought about this, they should consider that users like myself may not have reliable SMS across all the locations so that does not work.  I already have to carry multiple cell phones as a result.  Having to wait for an email to arrive, especially with spotty Internet access and accounts that have other email issues is unrelaible especially in an urgent situation.  Next, the current implementation does not seem to fingerprint access correctly so it requires an email exchange in my case for EVERY LOGIN.

While I worry a lot about Internet security,  this is an infantile, poorly thought through way to implement higher security for Ring users and accounts.  THIS MUST BE RETHOUGHT AND REMOVED UNTIL THEN.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Re: New mandatory 2 factor authentication (THANKS FOR ASKING THE COMMUNITY IF WE WANT THIS FEATURE)

@wannabechef wrote:

You could set TFA as a default

I don't even mind TFA and wouldn't even want to disable it, provided it would not require me to re-enter yet another TFA every time I follow a link on your page, never having logged out.  This is like a bad joke!  I am very new here, so don't know of the other complaints are valid, as I haven't even installed the doorbell yet (been waiting for the battery to charge for hours!) if I discover that I have to wait minutes to answer, I will be returning it!

I can log into my bank account and spend as long as I want only have to use TFA once - and none when I'm using the phone, it accepts my touch log in.  Why would a door bell need more security than a bank?

I am studying the webpage while waiting for the battery to finally charge, and have had to use TFA countless times already

Judy
Highlighted
New Neighbor

This 2FA is killing me. I can't believe I just had to use it again to write a post. I was already logged in!  What are they so afraid of? The biggest problem for me is that many of my 12 devices will often show red or offline when they are not. I can see them from other instances of the App. The guidance I received from support was to log out then back in. This actually does work and the devices become available.  It would be nice if the App worked properly as the video is already so slow to load.  So, when someone is on the street and I want to look at video it is not available. The  workaround is to log out then log back in. When I do, I have to wait for an email then input a verification code.  Put out a disclaimer that turning off 2FA is at my own risk and I will accept it.  I hate this forced exercise. Does anyone know if Nest does this to customers? I have 5 of their smoke alarms so I should just switch over to their devices and sell this Ring stuff on CraigsList.