Introducing: Modes

Having control over all of your Ring devices in one simple, easy to use app is important. I know when I’m running around town, having the ability to press one button to monitor my home is key. That is why we are introducing Modes - a feature I am very excited to share with you! Modes, is a new Ring App feature that simplifies how you interact with all of your Ring devices. When Modes are enabled, you have the ability to customize how your Ring devices operate in three different ways: Home, Away and Disarmed. This feature will be available for all Ring Cameras, Video Doorbells and Alarm devices. See below for more information about each mode:

• Disarmed Mode - is best if you are looking to disable all of your Ring devices at once. By default, in this mode, all Ring Doorbells and Cams will not detect motion or provide access to Live View, and all Ring Alarm sensors will not be armed.
  • Home Mode - is great when you’re heading to bed and are looking to monitor just the outside while you move freely and privately indoors. By default, in Home Mode, indoor cameras do not detect motion or provide Live View, but outdoor cameras remain fully active.
  • Away Mode - is for when you want to monitor your whole home, inside and out. You can select this mode when heading out of your home to activate your Ring Doorbells, Cams and Alarm. In Away Mode, by default, all cameras detect motion and provide access to Live View. All Ring Alarm sensors are active and armed when set to Away Mode.

Be on the lookout for Modes to become available starting November.

Are you excited about this feature? Feel free to ask questions or share how you’ll use Modes in the comments below.

22 Likes

I just saw that after my other post. Is there an update that still needs to roll out for this? When I check for hardware in my mode settings it still only shows items for my security system. I can’t see my cameras.

3 Likes

This is great! Thank you to the team for bringing this out. How do we enable and tweak the feature?

I love that Ring listens to customers and enhances these products so quickly.

2 Likes

Hi @veener79 & @RingUser ! Modes will become available in November :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Will we be able to actually customize these modes? If I select “Disarm” mode and this turns off motion detection will this now make my floodlight cam not turn on the lights when there is motion in my driveway?

I’ve been using Amazon Smart Plugs with Alexa routines to power down my indoor cams when I’m home… it sounds like the Modes functionality will let me ditch those smart plugs. #woohoo

Glad you asked @YK2000 ! The modes are indeed customizable. The above breakdown of what each mode does are in reference to what they default to, however, neighbors can certainly customize how each mode works best for their home. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I will probably delay buying until this is available! It is exactly what will make the Ring cameras fit my situation.

1 Like

Sounds nice, except I have a question about when you say if a camera is not detecting motion (i.e., not recording a video) you also imply it disables “Live View.” I’m all for being able to turn off the recordings & notifications due to motion detection, but even still in that mode I would want to be able to manually do a Live View. Use case: I think I’m the only one home so I go to Home mode, I plan to take a nap, I hear a noise in the other room, I want to be able to do a Live View to see what’s going on.

2 Likes

Good question @Jabba! The description of each Mode above is in reference to it’s default configuration. The great thing about Modes is that they will be customizable to perform in whichever manner works best for your home. Hope this helps!

Something else you may want to consider for Modes…do not make event logs for each individual device if it is disabled in that mode. Having event logs even when notifications are disabled is by my thinking also a privacy issue. This not only applies to the cameras, but also for each alarm sensor as well.

1 Like

I just found this post, modes are a great idea, I would think . . .

Disarmed - alram off (disarmed), outdoor cameras on, indoor cameras off

Home - alarm on Home, outdoor cameras on, indoor cameras off

Away - alarm on Away, all cameras on

Should be controlled through the alarm keypad, just like now, if you have Ring alarm.

1 Like

I am sure for many of Ring camera users, especially when battery powered, the real benefit of monitoring is overnight or during the hours of darkness. I am part of a Resident’s Group that has a communal camera which during the day records many motions but it is night time coverage where the benefit is and detection during the day is not required and just drains the battery and adds to the cloud storage usage. The Blink camera has a feature to schedule motion detection and in my view this feature would be beneficial to the Ring Stick Up camera.

1 Like

Modes sounds great! But I need a way to control one camera at a time. I want to be able to simply turn off recording when motion is detected… Either temporarly or on a timer… I can set motion detection not to send alerts but i really new a way to include no recording at the same time or no recordings at all.

3 Likes

Modes will be a great addition and upgrade. I would ask, don’t presume what we want in the “Disabled”, “Home” and “Away” modes. Put a toggle on every device, and allow the user to determine what devices operate in what modes. Add time-based rules (as you currently have) to these as well, and this will allow maximum flexibility in how we setup our individual home security. I have a few cameras I want watching/recording 24/7 regardless of mode. I have others I want active only when I’m away.

Let the user decide what devices are active and when. If you’re concernned about complexity in setup for new users, then go ahead and make the default settings for each of these modes exactly what you’ve already published. But please, do allow adjustment of this for more advanced users.

Thanks.

4 Likes

Will the Modes feature require a Ring alarm?

Also, can it be activated & deactivated using geofencing?

I’d like to have my indoor camera only active when I am away from home and inactive when I’m at home. I’d rather not have to manually activate & deactivate it.

1 Like

Glad you asked @fallingrock! You do not need our Alarm system to use the Modes feature. Modes will work with Doorbells and Cams just the same.

In regards to geofencing, this has been a popular request throughout the Community, and I will certainly share this growing interest with the team! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This sounds great as I’ve been put off from using cameras inside my house because of privacy.

I do have a question, will you be updating the Alexa Skill so that you can switch modes using routines. i.e. when you arrive home set to Home Mode, when you start your bedtime routine you set to Away Mode etc.

Also what about IFTTT integration, currently with the doorbell and camera I have you can only use them for the IF part, again it would be nice to be able to change the mode.

1 Like

I think a good approach for the RING team to consider is an on / off switch per device for WIFI connection. Just let us toggle the WIFI icon as a switch. This would allow easy control to turn recording on / off…

Is Geofencing not part of the new modes feature? I was assuming it would be to detect when you are home.

1 Like