Introducing: Modes

I just found this post, modes are a great idea, I would think . . .

Disarmed - alram off (disarmed), outdoor cameras on, indoor cameras off

Home - alarm on Home, outdoor cameras on, indoor cameras off

Away - alarm on Away, all cameras on

Should be controlled through the alarm keypad, just like now, if you have Ring alarm.

1 Like

I am sure for many of Ring camera users, especially when battery powered, the real benefit of monitoring is overnight or during the hours of darkness. I am part of a Resident’s Group that has a communal camera which during the day records many motions but it is night time coverage where the benefit is and detection during the day is not required and just drains the battery and adds to the cloud storage usage. The Blink camera has a feature to schedule motion detection and in my view this feature would be beneficial to the Ring Stick Up camera.

1 Like

Modes sounds great! But I need a way to control one camera at a time. I want to be able to simply turn off recording when motion is detected… Either temporarly or on a timer… I can set motion detection not to send alerts but i really new a way to include no recording at the same time or no recordings at all.

3 Likes

Modes will be a great addition and upgrade. I would ask, don’t presume what we want in the “Disabled”, “Home” and “Away” modes. Put a toggle on every device, and allow the user to determine what devices operate in what modes. Add time-based rules (as you currently have) to these as well, and this will allow maximum flexibility in how we setup our individual home security. I have a few cameras I want watching/recording 24/7 regardless of mode. I have others I want active only when I’m away.

Let the user decide what devices are active and when. If you’re concernned about complexity in setup for new users, then go ahead and make the default settings for each of these modes exactly what you’ve already published. But please, do allow adjustment of this for more advanced users.

Thanks.

4 Likes

Will the Modes feature require a Ring alarm?

Also, can it be activated & deactivated using geofencing?

I’d like to have my indoor camera only active when I am away from home and inactive when I’m at home. I’d rather not have to manually activate & deactivate it.

1 Like

Glad you asked @fallingrock! You do not need our Alarm system to use the Modes feature. Modes will work with Doorbells and Cams just the same.

In regards to geofencing, this has been a popular request throughout the Community, and I will certainly share this growing interest with the team! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This sounds great as I’ve been put off from using cameras inside my house because of privacy.

I do have a question, will you be updating the Alexa Skill so that you can switch modes using routines. i.e. when you arrive home set to Home Mode, when you start your bedtime routine you set to Away Mode etc.

Also what about IFTTT integration, currently with the doorbell and camera I have you can only use them for the IF part, again it would be nice to be able to change the mode.

1 Like

I think a good approach for the RING team to consider is an on / off switch per device for WIFI connection. Just let us toggle the WIFI icon as a switch. This would allow easy control to turn recording on / off…

Is Geofencing not part of the new modes feature? I was assuming it would be to detect when you are home.

1 Like

This is a great step at integrating the ecosystem! But would still really like the modes team to work on truly customizable modes, even if it is just letting us create our own. At least two examples of modes I would like:

Perimeter Instant (night mode) - Interior zones are disarmed and permiter zones are instant

Disarmed/Away (alarm off, cameras on) - when the kids/babysitter/nanny/housekeeper are at the house, I want to be able to view cameras, but I don’t want the alarm armed

These are non-overlapping use cases with the existing modes, so it’s impossible to customize, for example a single Home mode to cover.

2 Likes

IMHO, geofencing to trigger the modes would commercially open up a ton of new opportunity for Ring - mainly with users switching from competing products.

We use Canary for internal cams - and the main reason for that is their ability to auto switch between modes, based on whether myself or wife are present in the house. Manually triggering is fine, but when you’re rushing out the house with kids, bags, keys, etc it’s highly likely i’ll forget to change mode in the Ring app.

I’d gladly eBay our Canaries and buy 3 Ring cams now and have everything was on one platform, but I need auto mode switching before doing that.

@Ring - Is Geofencing for modes on the roadmap - and if so, are you able to give an indicative timescale?

Thanks!

Just wondering when is this update going to take affect? I am seeing good deals coming for the indoor cameras, but I am holding out till this is in effect.

2 Likes

I’m interested in this answer as well.

Was thinking of buying some indoor cameras around black friday…but if modes is not out and geofencing is not supported, then I guess I will not buy them after all since geofencing for indoor cameras is to me a showstopper.

Plus I don’t get how you are owned by amazon and yet the amazon cams have geofencing and other features the ring ones don’t. Can’t you get your heads together to join forces technologically and implement things more consistently?

A big YES to the geofencing idea! It would be great to add that ability to the app.

@Jennifer_Ring: Would you know on what date this new feature going to come out. I have been waiting for this feature update for quite sometime.

2 Likes

November…2019?

2 Likes

So unfortunate the Ring is so silent. No responses to anything on this topic for the past couple weeks.

I had planned to switch over from a competing set of cameras to ring indoor cams.

But geofencing is a show stopper for cameras inside my home. No way I want them recording when I am home and I’m not going to manually enable/disable them every time I come and go.

So I guess Ring doesn’t want my money. And on top of that they said whatever these features are would be released in November. Well they haven’t been and November is only a few days away from being over. So I guess that was inaccurate. Really annoys me when a company says one thing…then it doesn’t happen and rather than acknowledge that fact and provide an update they just become silent. Really not professional.

1 Like

Hey neighbors! As the post states, Mode has started to roll out. It is a gradual release and there is not an estimated time for 100% completion at this time, but keep an eye out for any updates as it is becoming available as we speak.

2 Likes

Is this being rolled out in the UK?

As this is a must have feature that should have been provided as standard.