24/7 Continuous Recording

Is this ever coming to ring or have they decided not to give this feature to ring customers? Debating on switching from ring to get continuous recording with other offerings out there.

2 Likes

I opted for Ring over Google Nest a year ago, and so far I’ve been pretty happy, except the “video clip” thing is more annoying than I expected. Whenever I scrub through the past video to look for when something happened, the video is broken up into clips even though there is continuous motion (because it has hit the max-length of the video clip and needs to start a new one after its “cool down” period). It’s not just that the video stream is missing key moments, but overall the playback experience of scrubbing through a sequence of gap-separated clips is much less smooth than scrubbing within a single clip.

I had read somewhere that continuous video was on the product roadmap at some point, but got abandoned. Is this something that would ever be added, perhaps as a premium-plan option for higher-end cameras? I’m looking to add more cameras to my house, and if I knew continuous-video was likely to happen in the next year or so, I’d be more inclined to stick with Ring for those new cameras.

Longer clip lengths (e.g. 30 minutes) would somewhat helps because it would mean fewer clips at least. But I understand that giant clips are harder to download/save/forward/etc…

Hi neighbors. I was able to find this Feature Request post where others have requested a similar feature. Feel free to comment and vote for it there.