cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Ring Device RSSI (Good vs Poor)

Community Manager

Your Ring Device RSSI (Good vs Poor)

All Ring Doorbells and security cameras work best with a strong Wi-Fi connection. Everyone's Wi-Fi router is different, this is why it is important to know the Received Signal Strength Indicator (RSSI) of your device. To learn more about what RSSI means check out this article in the Ring Help Center.

The RSSI reported in your app will help you know how strong the Wi-Fi signal connection is to your device. RSSI does not reflect the speed of your Wi-Fi, it just helps with knowing if you have a strong Wi-Fi connection. The speed will depend on your router. See this Community article for how to check the Wi-Fi speeds by your device.

Where to Find Your Device's RSSI

You can see your devices RSSI in the device health section of your Ring app. Open the Ring app > Select your desired device > Pick “Device Health” from the top row. See the images below for an example.

Device health.png

RSSI Reading Meaning

-66 to -90 is critical and will likely cause a loss of functionality or be unable to maintain a usable connection the Wi-Fi altogether.  

-65 to -41 is sufficient. Possible video issues if constantly at -60.

-40 or better  is virtually no interference and a very strong signal.

Common Results of Poor RSSI

• Poor RSSI Reading - If a router is an older model or is just not strong at broadcasting signal, the RSSI could be poor even though little interference exists between the router and device.
  • Battery Drain - your device battery may be draining quickly if your RSSI is between -70 or lower (Reminder RSSI is a negative number so -90 is lower than -70) because it is working hard to keep a constant connection.
  • Delayed Connection - when trying to open an event or Live View it may take longer to connect or possibly fail to connect.

Tips for -65 to -90

If you are having connectivity concerns and don’t have the best RSSI readings, a Chime Pro could help to strengthen the Wi-Fi signal to your device. Learn more about how a Chime Pro can help in this Ring Help Center article.

IMPORTANT REMINDER

If speeds are not sufficient, but the router is right near the Ring device, the RSSI can certainly read a strong value. It only knows the signal strength, but it does not measure the resources otherwise. To measure that you will want to run a speed test, you can learn how here.

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Re: Your Ring Device RSSI (Good vs Poor)

Will the Ring Chime Pro boost my Battery outside cameras' strength?

Thanks

Highlighted
Neighbor II

It only extends your signal from your router to your device. It has nothing to do with power or batteries. A better signal will of course lessen the drain on the battery a bit.
Highlighted
New Neighbor III

How I increased RSSI by about 10 dBm:

I added a WiFi Range Extender about 4 feet across 1 exterior wall of my Pro doorbell, and dBm increased by 10, and my RSSI is around -45 now (closer to zero means stronger signal).

I don't think I can do a lot better due to the number of WiFi networks in close proximity where I live.

If I measure dBm right next to the Range Extender (or primary Router), I see numbers around -12 dBm.

Please consider contributing your realistic RSSI values 

Thanks!

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Thanks for your reply!  I upgraded my Router with a new EERO which you can purchase from RING.  Problem solved! 

Highlighted
New Neighbor

I'm curious how the EERO is performing for you. What was your RSSI before and after?
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Hey Alex,

The EERO is a great product and very easy to connect to your existing wifi with all of your devices.  Soon as we got our cameras connected to EERO it worked perfectly.  The best thing is that we got it from Ring for $200 compared to $300 at Best buy etc.  EERO also offers great protection to intruders.  Highly suggest this product.

Cheers

Vito

Highlighted
New Neighbor

I use an eero mesh network. My RSSI is -21 down to -19 I never have issues.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

One thing I did to help signal strength with my Ring Gen1 doorbell was to disable 5GHz on my modem router.

I have a Virgin Media modem router, that supports 2.4 and 5GHz, at the front of my house. I have a second 2.4 GHz router at the back of the house, that's connected to the modem router via a LAN cable, running in access point mode using the same SSID as the modem router.

Although 5GHz is technically faster, its coverage and ability to go through walls is much less. However many devices will lock onto a weak 5GHz signal even when a much better 2.4GHz is available.

I noticed this with an Amazon Fire Stick that was only inches away from the second router, that it still locked onto the modem router's 5GHz signal at the other side of my house. I turned off the 5GHz on the modem router. Now the Fire Stick associates with the router right next to it, and the Ring doorbell now regularly gets a better signal strength from the modem router at the front of the house.

In summary, try turning off 5 GHz on your routers. You probably won't even notice the difference when streaming your Netflix etc. on your mobile devices, and find you get better coverage.