Two-step authentication

How do I turn off this the two-step authentication? It already takes too long to load Ring and this just adds extra time and an extra step I don’t need.

Hi @cheri1. Ring has made it a requirement to have Two Step Verification on your account, and you will have the options between texting a code or emailing a code to yourself to log in. You can learn more about this in our Community post here!

I will make sure to pass on your feedback to the appropriate team in the meanwhile as we value our neighbors opinions and want to make the process as easy as possible for all. :slight_smile:

This is sooooo annoying! Rather than IMPROVING the service, they come up with ways of annoying their customers. Despite numerous requests from their customers, they still haven’t fixed why the battery keeps running down so quickly. Nor have they made any changes to the recording time. Now it appears it’s been lowered to 20 seconds. So crimes only happen in 20 seconds?

Today I went to check the activities, and lo and behold, there were none. This despite knowing for a fact that my neighbours have been in and out 4 times this morning (their door is 5 feet from mine. We live in a townhouse). So it appears The Ring wants to make things “pretty” rather than functional. If you’re going to stop my service, then refund my annual subscription so I can find a service that actually is a service!!

2 Likes

I won’t use 2-step authentication EVERY TIME I log in. I’ll do it once, then you need to remember that my laptop, my ip address, my cookie, whatever means you want to use, is secure. Same thing you do with my phone app. Same thing practically everyone else does. I’m not signing up for ring protect without this.

1 Like

So how can I turn it off?

Why not allow us to use Touch ID instead? ? Something a lot easier to verify instead of having to enter a code every freaking time. ?

1 Like

Yes this is beyond annoying. It logs me out after a few minutes, and then I have to go through getting another code to get back in. This should be setup to where it remembers my system, or at least keeps my system verified for a period of time (MORE than 5 minutes!!). I have paid for the year, but will cancel after this year due to issues like this. I already have the swan system ordered to replace this system.

1 Like

If they do not change this silly two step authentication in the next 30 days, I will be leaving Ring. I am tired of having to log in every time and then it does not work the first half a dozen tries. Very poor service.

1 Like

Just got message someone at door. By the time I get logged in and enter the two step verification the person is gone. This is ridiculous. Then I want to send this note and lo and behold I need a new verification code 5 minutes later. I’m looking for a new doorbell. Ring has disappointed me.

1 Like

@LakeBob wrote:

Just got message someone at door. By the time I get logged in and enter the two step verification the person is gone. This is ridiculous. Then I want to send this note and lo and behold I need a new verification code 5 minutes later. I’m looking for a new doorbell. Ring has disappointed me.

Hello @LakeBob ,

When Ring first introduced the “Two-step authentication” it had to be done every time and was quite excessive. Since then, they’ve “Dialed it back” a bit. You no longer have to do the authentication every time _as long as you don’t sign out of the App _(and occasionally use it during a given time-period).

If you are worried about someone using your phone and accessing your Ring App, you should use the good security practice of utilizing your phone’s timed Lock-out features (using fingerprint or code to unlock). Besides having your Ring App on your phone, I’m sure you have plenty of other sensitive information on your phone. So use your phone’s Screen Lock feature, and don’t log out of the App.

1 Like

I too will be looking for another service. This is just stupid, not having an option to decline the two steps authentication. How upsetting to have a need to check your camera view and have to wait. Don’t reboot your computer or your phones because you will be logged out. I don’t believe the 30 day period is working anyway. It can be something as simple as losing internet connectivity for a couple of seconds and then you are not connected to Ring anymore.

1 Like

I hate two step authentication. I had to wake up to a 4 AM alert logged in and had authenticate to view my video to investigate. I will not be buying any more products and will probably be replacing my ring door bell for a competitor’s device. Too bad it really works well. I don’t use two step authentication for any products I have it too much of a hassle, Good bye Ring.

I also HATE the 2 step authentication requirement. It’s a pita and should be an end user choice.
I also have Arlo cameras and they don’t require it and so logging in is easier. I was considering to changing over to Ring cams exclusively but this 2 step hassle is a real deterrent.
Ring needs to heed the needs of the customers. Why 2 step anyhow? Maybe for some indoor cameras, I get that. But for outdoor cams? Come on now.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.