Two Factor Authorization EMAIL

I have been using two factor authroization for my account. I’m happy with the concept.
My workplace is no longer allowing *any* wireless phones of anytype. Thus I can no longer recieve the 2FA code via text message.
?==> Is there an option, please, to have 2FA code sent via registered email?
Can this function be added, please?
Thank You.

Hi @Vedrfolnir. I appreciate your feedback on this! While having the 2FA sent via email is not an option at this time, I have passed on your feedback to the appropriate team. For the future, I would recommend reaching out to your cellular service provider to see if they have a way to set up your phone number to send your text messages to an email inbox as well. This may help for future! :smiley_cat:

Ring added email login alerts - or they default to email if they have no mobile phone# to push a 2FA code out to.

After a successful login they send an email to alert you that a device has logged in.

The email you receive shows a login from AWS because they coded the algorythm wrong - they capture the IP of one of their own servers - rather then sending the IP of the device that logged in.

I sent an email to support suggesting that it would be more useful for their customers and their security team if they corrected the API that generates those email alerts - and also suggested they include the device type and/or browser fingerprint -like google does.

Hopefully they will get it sorted.

1 Like

Here is Ring’s announcement for the 2 factor authentication being mandatory and some more information.
https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039693891-Enhancing-Security-with-Two-Step-Verificatio

2 Likes

Is there a way to have it remember the computer I authorize with 2FA? The ring web page will log me out after a few minutes of inactivity. When I try to use the page again it makes me log back in and then ask for yet another 2FA from the same machine.

I get the need for the additional security but haveing to get a new code every single time I log in from the same device is getting a little tiresome.

Other web pages that I use with this feature will remember the machine I authorized for the day, the week, or the month and not ask for another code during that period, again, just from that machine I did the authorization from. Can Ring do this as well?

I’m trying something out now to see if it will not time out at least. I’ll let you know if it works.

The problem for me is just on the web page login. I login, and it sends me the below email.

| Hi Neighbor, |
|

We’ve detected a new device or web browser attempting to log into your Ring account. To confirm this was you, please enter the verification code below in the app or browser now.

Your verification code:

XXXXXX

|

This is great. I have no problems with this.

The web page logs me out after 5 minutes of inactivity. I go back and have to log in again. So in addition to having to log in again, I get another:

| Hi Neighbor, |
|

We’ve detected a new device or web browser attempting to log into your Ring account. To confirm this was you, please enter the verification code below in the app or browser now.

Your verification code:

XXXXXX

|

Ok, this is the same device and web browser I logged in and authorized five minutes ago. Why do I have to authorize again so soon. So every time I want to check my account or videos I have to go through this process. Again I like this idea, but on other web pages they store the device you had already authorized via the 2FA email and either alow that device to log in again without 2FA email permentently, or for a set period of time (day, week, month, etc).

Having to not only log in to my Ring account, but my email account to get the code over and over again the same day is not something I find user friendly.

1 Like

It’s not remembering the devices. There is no option for it to remember. There should be…
You can also get the code by phone if you add your number instead. Hopefully they will add a checkbox for it to remember the device.

The system is NOT useable for people like me who travel internationally and do not use their home cellphone while away, so cannot receive the SMS codes. An email confirmation is the essential alternative and is one which satisfies the security standards required of major banks.

With respect, this totally limited system has not been thought through and is clearly aimed only at folks who do not leave their home country for the big wide world beyond its shores or who use different cellphones when overseas. I will be happy to activate it when this anomaly is corrected.

1 Like

Hi @CaptainFourbars, if you can, please follow these steps to turn on the 2SV to be email only, and not text messaging for you:

• Open up the Ring app and go to the main menu
  • In the main menu, select Control Center
  • From Control Center, select Two-Step Verification
  • From here you can change this over to email, therefore you will not be receiving a code via text every time you log in.

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

Thanks for that great help. It worked. For whatever reason I thought I might find it using the web site, signed in to my account, but it seems it is a function restricted to the App. Forgive me if it was me being stupid, but I saw no reference to the capbility even existing where 2FA was mentioned.

2 Likes

Glad to hear that worked, @CaptainFourbars ! Here is an article that @Riley_Ring wrote, that goes into detail about your Ring Account Security. Let us know if you have any feedback or questions :slight_smile:

Ring, any news about fixing your web page login from haveing to reauthenicate over and over again every time the page logs you out?

Having to log in and then log in to email to get 2FA over and over again the same hour is a bit of a pain.