Subscription Lapsed and I Need Lost Videos

My subscription, which I thought was auto-renewing, expired with no notice.

I didn’t realize it until 2 days after my recordings stopped saving to the cloud. I’ve immediately re-subscribed, but in the 2 days that it was down there’s a video I need. Is there any way to recover that? I’m frustrated because had I received an email saying it was expiring I would have taken care of it immediately and would not have lost this important footage.

1 Like

Hey @thisholidayjoe. Whenever there is a lapse of coverage, the videos from that time period and all previously stored videos are removed from the cloud storage since there is not a plan to cover the storage. There is not a way to retrieve these videos once removed and deleted. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused, and please ensure you do not have any Ring emails doing to your spam or junk folder, as you should get an email when your plan is about to expire!

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, Chelsea.

I did check my SPAM and there’s nothing there. And what’s odd is I get all of the other Ring communications in my normal inbox. I even got a notification when i resubscribed that my new subscription was going to expire in a few days because my credit card didn’t properly charge. So, I’m pretty confident that any previous attempt to let me know I had an expiring subscription would have shown up in my inbox just like all of the other similar communication from Ring.

I’m really disappointed that there’s no way to retrieve that. I’d even be willing to pay for the 2 days lapsed if there was a way to get them. Is it possible that there could be a backup server that stores a rolling 30 days or something like that from which your team could restore it?

2 Likes

@thisholidayjoe We do not have backup servers and no way to retrieve the videos for you. I greatly apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused! I will make sure to pass on your feedback and experience to the appropriate teams, as we are always in the interest of making the neighbor experience better. If we could implement a way to have a recovery section for videos, I could see how this could benefit our neighbors that find themselves in a situation similar to yours. I apologize again, I wish there was more we could do in this situation!

1 Like

Has this changed at all in the last year? Because I’m in the same boat as holiday joe right now, and it would be really really handy if I could access video from a 2 day lapse.

Hi @terrapin22. To add to what Chelsea has said, there is not a way to restore deleted videos. Once the videos are deleted, they are gone. This Help Center article here will show you how to download videos in the event you find a video you would like to save.

1 Like

I have had the same problem. My credit expired and before I noticed all the footage was gone. It did take three weeks but I was traveling and my phone got damaged and I could not log back with my new phone until I got back to my computer (given security requirements). It seems like a month grace period should be built into the product. Now I left feeling like I should replace this entire system because I can’t trust that this type of thing will not just happen again.

5 Likes

Has this now been changed? I have an expired subscription and videos from 2 days ago in my event history that I want to view but that I can not access. I will renew subscription if that means I will be able to access the videos from 2 days ago.

2 Likes

No incentive to renew I guess. Missed opportunity on Ring’s behalf to get the people who don’t tend to keep a subscription, to renew when they have something valuable they need access to. All it would take is keep a rolling list of recordings for a few days or a week and make them available if you subscribe/renew for a year.

1 Like

Hi @Anton7. Prior to your subscription ending, you should have received in-app notifications letting you know that your Ring Protect Plan is about to expire. You should get these notifications 14 days prior to your Ring Protect Plan ending as a proactive approach to retaining your videos.

Still doesn’t solve his problem where if the credit card on file is expired. Yeah. You send an alert to customers 14 days prior. But if my card on file happens to be expired and you attempt to take the payment, it won’t and in this case you delete all the files prior to the renewal attempt.

1 Like

Bpo -

Ring has known about various types of billing-related email problems for quite a while, but has seemingly done nothing to fix the problems – despite the (unnecessary/serious) harm that it causes customers.

Ring obviously knows if your subscription has expired… because it PERMANENTLY denies you access to your EXISTING video clips without warning. This makes no sense.

Instead of “pushing” in-app notifications about things that matter to customers (such as subscription renewal problems, offline devices, and low battery issues)… Ring insists on pushing obnoxious/unnecessary ad/marketing notifications (which many customers presumably have no interest in). If Ring was interested in happy/successful customers, you’d think they would do the opposite.

Clearly, software-related subscriptions have been around for many years. It’s not rocket science.

Thus, I’m sure that Ring Community members could easily provide Ring with a number of different strategies that could be used for solving/preventing many of the billing problems that negatively impact customers.

2 Likes

This, this right here is the final nail in the Ring coffin for me. When I first set up my account I entered my card, selected the plan, and had it set for auto renewal. Now mysteriously, 6-7 months after I subscribed, my account “trial period ended” and it wiped all my videos. All, of them. Not a single one left. It took me less than 5 minutes to have to log into Ring.com and strangely re-add my card information… that’s convenient… pretty slick way to dump a ton of data to make some room.
Ring makes the conscious decision to burn your account down instantly and wipe all data, like the very second, there is an issue with your account (real or made up).
What service, anywhere, has this part of their business plan? Terrible way to start a relationship with your customers; their trial period ends, they decide on the service, pay for the plan, log back in and find all the previous data from trial period wiped out and gone!?!?? Really?
No wonder everyone was giving my static over getting Ring equipment. Sad too, because I kinda like Ring, their product line up (despite the mounting negative issues and problems) but as I go on I’m finding that I’m less and less pleased with their services and company policies.

1 Like

A Protect Plan subscription is required to be active and maintained for the current saved videos to be accessible. The Protect Plan will also save videos for a certain period of time before deleting, per the plan storage time frame. For this reason, we advise downloading any important videos.

Prior to your subscription ending, you should receive reminders letting you know that your Ring Protect Plan is about to expire. Remember to check your email and your plan section at Ring.com to stay up to date on your account. To avoid plan lapsing, it’s best to ensure billing / payment method is up to date.

If you’ve tried the above and would like a closer look at subscription concerns, or billing questions, our support team will be happy to assist further. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

1 Like

My account expired with no warning through the app which I look at daily. My credit card is active and current, so not sure why it didn’t auto renew, nor why the info wasn’t there in the first place. I’m disappointed that my history has been deleted after only 4 hours. I was unable to access my history and didn’t understand why, so I searched emails. Found the cancellation email at 4:22am. I resubscribed at around 8:30am.

If I should have been notified through the app, I wasn’t so please log this as a complaint.

I use the app daily and never received a warning. This is a terrible policy to have 0 grace period when the error is often on Ring. It’s irresponsible to have no reliable system in place for such a common sense issue that so many customers are experiencing.

1 Like

Hi @Marve167. As @SolarEclipse mentioned, Ring will send out emails letting you know that your subscription is ending. If for some reason your payment method has changed, Ring will also notify you 3 times letting you know there has been a failed attempt to charge your card on file. I suggest setting up a filter in your email inbox to flag Ring emails as a priority.

The in-app notifications about your Ring Protect Plan ending are for neighbors that are on the 30-day free trial. Nonetheless, I will take this feedback to my team to see how we can improve this process. If you have any other account related questions, feel free to our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

1 Like

So whats the use of paying you guys for videos that “BElongs to us” if you don’t have the cloud save it. Why take peoples money for something that is useless???

1 Like

I am currently using 3 Ring devices but own a total of 4 (Doorbell, Spotlight Cam and 2 Stick Up Cams.) around 3 weeks ago, I changed the location of my stick up cam and since I have one white and one black, the white looked better in the new location. I removed the black SUC from my dashboard and added the white in it’s place, tested motion notifications and called it a day. Coming home from work last Thursday, I noticed that all $800 in cash I had on my closet shelf had disappeared and since it’s just me and a guy I rent a room to living in my house, the list of suspects is pretty short. Thinking ahead to the possibility of a situation like this, I have maintained a SUC at the entrance of my bedroom for over a year now and sure enough, 1:27pm renter comes through the front door of my house, 1:34pm motion is detected inside my locked bedroom door (34 minutes after I have clocked in at work). Justice is about to be served. My excitement immediately turns to something resembling rage as I read, “No Video”. Why? Why is there no video? My plan is paid up until summer starts, and then ends, the camera went through the trouble of registering the motion and logging a notification. From my perspective as the user, my camera is doing all the things that signal to me the assumption that it is keeping guard over my stuff. Except for, my 3rd protection plan didn’t automatically step in to cover a 3rd device.

What happens in my situation? My Ring protection plan didn’t even lapse and I can’t retrieve my video. What was the plan to refund the remaining portion of my annual policy on the device I had deleted? I don’t really get the sense that it was on the way. Lastly, I read a few times that videos cannot be recovered once they have been deleted, which implies that the event I need a recording of was recorded by my camera and then deleted by Ring. Is this correct?

Thank you for any guidance given on this subject. You guys really do make awesome products and have great customer service. I’m sure thousands of people would be spared the frustration from problems associated with this subject.

Thank you

Hi @rubberbandito. If you have videos that are not able to play and are giving you the error “No Video Found,” try the following steps to prevent this from happening again:

If you have tried these steps and are still having the same concern, give our support team a call for further assistance. Our support team will also be able to assist with any concerns regarding Ring Protect Plan billing issues as well.