Ring doorbell 3 on Solar panel (spotlight cam)

Hello There,

Is it possible to charge a ring doorbell 3 with a solarpanel thats used for the spotlight cam ?

Thanx for your info !

Regards,

Sefke

That is a great question @Sefke! The Solar Charger mount for the Doorbell uses a wiring connector over terminals to deliver power at a rate that is necessary for the Doorbell trickle charge. The Solar Panel for the Cameras uses a different connection type and output of power, thus are not intended for use with the Doorbell. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Hi Marley,

Thanx for youre quick reply.

I’m not convinced yet however… sorry.

I noticed that the battery in de Spotlight cam en doorbell 3 are the same.

Why can’t I charge the battery of de doorbell 3 with a solarpanel for the spotlight cam.

The device itself uses the battery, so if that’s done in a different way it shouldn’t matter … right?

Thanx in advance for your info!

Regards, Sefke

No worries, @Sefke! This is what we are here for. :slight_smile:

You make a good point about the battery being the same for both devices. The difference is in the connection type specifically.

The Solar Panel (Cams) uses a 13-ft. (3.96-m.) cable with weatherproof barrel connector for it’s connection, and it’s power rating is 2.2W; 5.2VDC.

The Solar Charger (Doorbells) uses wires to attach to the leads/ terminals on the back of the Doorbell, and it’s power rating is 0.44W; 5.5V DC.

While the Solar options are not cross-compatible from Doorbells to Cams, the batteries are certainly interchangeable. This means you could technically place a battery in your Camera and allow it to charge via Solar Panel, then swap it with the Doorbell battery once charged enough, however, this would likely be a slower charge method compared to using the USB and a standard outlet.