Ring devices Wireless connection

19/10 update:

1. I needed to use MAC filtering and force the Doorbell to stay on desired Access Point, I also have dedicated 2.4GHz band and dedicated Wi-Fi network for the Ring devices, mainly the Doorbell 3. Ask yourself a question - do you have skills to do such things? If yes, there is a chance you will connect this device to the network and get quite reliable connection. If not, you still might be lucky and your doorbell will connect to SOME Wi-Fi you have, ideally you’ll have one hub/router/point so the doorbell will have no choice but still, remember about 2.4GHz / 5GHz band and this doorbell is terrible with 5GHz connection.
  2. Thinking about Chime Pro? Think again, it will be hit and miss, your doorbell has no intelligence, it might connect to your Wi-Fi in the shed or to the hub downstairs even if it has a choice to be connected to your brand new Chime Pro (which is a repeater…) one meter away from your door. There is NO WAY you can force this doorbell to work with your Chime Pro except using advanced Wi-Fi features, not available to regular users.
  3. Now I had some time to test motion detections. It’s set to about 50% sensitivity, People Only Mode, frequent detection (because otherwise I missed real incidents). It’s now detecting clouds moving, shades, shadows and porch lights on/off. It’s detecting my cats. It’s notifying for People Only which is good but unnecessary motion detections are draining battery which is now 14-21 days on average which is not great.
  4. I will move out in few weeks, so the fun begins again!

I am not happy with my Doorbell 3, I feel I could buy just Doorbell 2nd generation, save a lot of money, and got the same device. The same video quality, the same features, 5GHz is unusable anyway unless you have the AP 50cm away from the door frame - I feel robbed to be honest. Terrible value for money.

1 Like