Ring Pro - Use 2.4GHz WiFi?

Should I switch my Ring Pro to my 2.4GHz WiFi network?
While a 5GHz WiFi network is faster, devices on my 2.4GHz tend to stay continuously connected much longer than devices on my 5GHz network (which re-connect after some hours).

It is difficult to say if the Ring Pro is disconnecting/rebooting, or if my router 5GHz band is flaky at greater distances. Would be nice to see a historical record somewhere; the Device Health in the Ring app always shows my connection as Good, and RSSI is between negative high 40s to low 50s, when I look at it.
My Amazon Echo Dot/Alexa (3rd Gen) which is on my 5GHz band but closer to the router almost never disconnects.

I did install a new 16V 30VA doorbell transformer for added power, and I do use the Ring Pro Power Kit with my doorbell ringer.

Good question @Natey ! I often recommend neighbors use their 2.4 Ghz verus the 5 Ghz. Although the Ring Pro is compatible with both, a doorbell is commonly mounted in an area far from the router and beyond an exterior wall. As you said, this is where 5 Ghz can falter to some extent. In addition to connecting the Pro to 2.4, it’s a great idea to connect all indoor 5Ghz compatible devices to the 5Ghz network to avoid too much clutter on your 2.4Ghz network. Hope this helps!

4 Likes

Wouldn’t it “AUTOMATICALLY” connect to the strongest signal?

@DonC wrote:

Wouldn’t it “AUTOMATICALLY” connect to the strongest signal?

No, because my 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi networks have different names.

1 Like

My Ring Pro has been continuously connected to my 5GHz WiFi network for over 398 hours now (i.e. over 16 days) without disconnecting. :smiley:

I’ll see if I can set a new record before trying the 2.4GHz network.

Guys, i keep hearing stuff like this and i have to interject. Here’s the deal with 2.4ghz vs 5ghz. 5ghz is a weaker signal, thus its weakness is its strength! The fact that it is weaker means your neighbors 5ghz wifi is also weaker, which means less noise on that channel.

2.4ghz is a monster! It can travel through thick pine trees and other brush, homes and Far… far far far away to a galaxy… You get the idea! So it’s very noisy. Not to mention all the other non-WiFi based noise that’s created from things like vacuum cleaners to microwaves. That on top of other neighbors wifi and additional ambient noise is a perfect cocktailic cacophony of horrible connectivity that will impact things not just your doorbell. I’m not saying it never works… just that if you are having problems, my money is on the fact your using 2.4ghz. This is why they invented 5ghz… it was for a reason :wink: many actually!

Baring extremely dense neighborhoods and especially apartments, 5ghz will almost always be a cleaner, and higher quality connection. However, you need to evaluate your home network and consider the following:

• Wireless router (in MANY cases one single router will not cover a home efficiently in it’s 5ghz spectrum.) I don’t care what the box says, Seriously i have no idea where they get those specs but name one person you know that gets 100% of the results an off the shelf router claims it can achieve.

You may need a mesh router.

To find out if you need one:

With an android phone “sorry apple”, download a wifi analyzer. I prefer the one by farproc, navigate to wifi analyzer for 5ghz within the ap. Now, in your wifi analyzer app check how loud other signals are.

You need the following:

1. A signal strength of around -60db or better. Better being -55, -40, etc…
  2. A signal to noise ratio of roughly 30db difference. For example if my neighbors wifi is -70 near where my ring doorbell will be, then i need my signal to be -40db stronger. This is rarely possible hence why Wifi6 or AX is coming out! 5ghz is even suffering but way less than 2.4. If you can get at least 15db difference you should be okay-ish

If you can’t get a good signal like that with your current router, I’d recommend a mesh router because once you move your router, the rest of your house will have a problem. Your mierly shifting the problem elsewhere.

**One last thing… There is the goldilocks zone that no one really knows about! It’s called Channel 165! Off the shelf routers automatically broadcast to 80mhz and this my friends is the primary reason or cause if you will, for alllll the horrible nightmares we are facing. In order to BUFF their stats, router manufacturers are sending them out hard coded 80mhz routers in droves. Unless your surrounded by a few acr’s this will not give you the performance you’re looking for.

Solution: Hard code your router to 20mhz and then you’ll be able to static it to channel 165. Don’t be surprised if your the only one there.

Hope this helps and I’ll step off my soapbox now. Let’s all hope wifi6 comes soon!!! I mean… it’s here but i mean devices capable of it :wink:

3 Likes

To my knowledge RING can’t work with 5G. So don’t even try to connect it will not show up in set up.

All that bologna about 5G not being able to reach your ring or cuts off and on is not true.

Ring is not able to run on 5G. AND I would like them to prove otherwise. No disrespect I’ll be the first one to congratulate them.

Ring Pro can use 5 GHz. You don’t need it. It doesn’t travel as far as 2.4 GHz.

Funny that it shows on my router as being connected at 5ghz then…

Where is it shown how to get the Ring Video Door Bell Pro to connect on one band or the other?

1 Like

I just installed an Asus AI mesh node in the house and the camera seems to work better, now. When I was just using the RT-AX86U it only worked on the 2.4 network, and when I tried to pull up the camera if the doorbell rang or the camera detected motion, it took nearly half a day to pull the footage. Now that it’s on the 5Ghz signal, it seems to be doing better. The new node is an AC2600 router and I only installed the one extra device.

As a bonus, the streaming I do on the other side of a 1600 sqft house is a lot smoother. Will update later if anything changes.