Moving to a new address: how do I transfer my Ring Alarm system (including base station, keypad

I have a Ring Alarm system installed in the home we are currently renting. We are moving to our next home and I want to take the system with me and re-install it at the new address. So far, I have been unable to find a simple, clear explanation of the process for doing this, either among Ring articles or among the community posts. Am I missing something? Some of the information I need seems to be in articles related to “Locations,” such as this one: https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005206326 which has a sub-topic “Changing the location of your Ring Alarm.” This gives some information but only about changing the location via the smartphone app. It doesn’t walk me through the larger process: do I use the app to remove devices from the current location and then delete the location before I move? Does “devices” include the base station and keypad? Is the process for install and set-up of my existing Ring Alarm at a new address the same as my first-time install/set-up process?

Any guidance from anyone? Thanks in advance…

Hey @jwc50, I’d be happy to point you in the right direction here. When moving to a new address, you don’t need to worry about removing any devices or locations from your Ring App. All you need to do is update the address in your Ring App and take your devices with you. To update your address, open the Ring App > Main Menu > Settings > Change Address. If you have Professional Monitoring enabled it will prompt you to swap to Self Monitoring for the address change, but you can swap back over after you’re done.

Once the address change is done, all you need to do is take your devices with you to the new location and set them up. If you run into any concerns or difficulties in getting everything set up at the new address, you can give our support team a call at one of the numbers availablehere. They’ll be able to walk through it with you step-by-step to ensure your system is up and running at the new place. If you are outside of the US, please go here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile:

OK, I’ll try that. Thanks for replying. But…

After I have changed the address via the app, do I just unplug the keypad and base station? And then plug them back in when I get to the new home?

I used the double-sided tape for the sensors: is there a recommended procedure for removing them? For getting rid of any residual adhesive?

@jwc50 Yes, you do not need to do anything extra when moving the Base Station and the Keypad. You’d simply unplug them and bring them with you, then plug them in at the new location. You’ll have to set the Base Station up on the new wifi network, but if you have any trouble with any of the devices, our support team is available here to assist.

Regarding the Contact Sensors, there isn’t any particular recommendation on how to remove them. You can use something flat, such as a butter knife, to wedge underneath the Contact Sensor to gently edge it off the wall.

That helps a lot. Thank you.

1 Like

Does Ring sell extra double-sided tape separately, to reattach the motion sensors and door sensors once you get to the new place?

Hi @D2J8. We do not sell extra double-sided tape, but you can buy some from most hardware stores and it should work just as well. The 3M brand double-sided tape is what most neighbors typically use if they have to replace the tape, and you can find that in most stores. :slight_smile: