Long range needed

I have a shop about 300 ft from my home. I’d like to put a motion sensor in it.
Is it possible to use multiple range extender’s or chime extender’s to make this possible?

@Radar09 Are you talking about a motion sensor for the Ring Alarm Home Security System? If you are, you will need to install a Ring Alarm Range Extender in order to have the range extended from the Alarm’s Base Station. Please note that the Range Extender only extends out 250 ft in clear air with no interference. This does not include walls and other appliances that may be inbetween your Base Station and where this motion sensor is going.

Therefore, you may need 2 or 3 Range Extenders for it to travel and connect all the way out to your shop. Feel free to give it a try, and if you buy the Extenders from Ring and it doesn’t work out, you can always utilize our 30-day refund policy.

2 Likes

What offers the greater range, the chime pro, or a simple range extender?
So I can daisy chain range extenders?
I could put on in the house and one out in the shop and if they each reach 250ft they should be able to meet the long range I need?

@Radar09 The only thing that can extend the range of the Ring Alarm equipment is the Ring Alarm Range Extender, as it communicates on Z-Wave, just like your Motion Detector and other Ring Alarm devices. The Chime Pro is a wifi extender and therefore would not help extend the range of your Alarm’s z-wave network. You can daisy chain Ring Alarm Range Extenders when needed, it’s just not recommended to daisy chain more than 3.

The idea you have of one in your home and one in the shop should help for sure! As long as there is not any extra interference, it should work. If it does not connect or stay online while in your shop, there may be too much interference. If you get to that point, please contact our support team to verify this, but I hope it works well so you do not have to worry about reaching out!

3 Likes

So the Ring Keypads aren’t range extenders by default? Seems like a big missed opportunity if they are not. They are constant-powered (wired) devices, with battery backup… would seem to be ideal dual-function devices as range extenders.

1 Like

Hi @flyingbobblack. The Ring Keypads do not double as Range Extenders. This would be a great addition! As we value our neighbors’ feedback, we’ve created a Feature Request board. Feel free to add this and any future feature requests there. This will help us to organize and share your requests with our teams here, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place. Feel free to link that post you make in the Feature Request board here so other neighbors that come to this thread can easily find your feature!

1 Like

When ring is planing to implement LoRa technology on the sensors?

When I called Ring last month because my front door sensor was setting off a false alarm in the middle of the night, the tech I spoke to said I would need a range extender every ten feet. I thought that was crazy. It sounds like the tech was wrong based on this feed? I only need a range extender every 250 feet?

I have Eero for the same reason and I have work extender throughout the house. From my front door to my base station is about 60 feet. Tech tried to get me buying six range extenders. I thought he was trying to upsell me more products than I needed.

Last night, my motion detector near the front door set off a false alarm, which I slept through. Police were called. Thought I would check the community before wasting three hours on the phone with Ring again only to be told to buy more range extenders by a tech who didn’t know what he was talking about…so frustrated!

It’s the motion detector and the door sensor causing problems. Nothing to do with Wi-Fi. They are on the Z-wave. Thanks for advice though. Appreciate that you cared enough to respond.

Hi @himpersonal. I would try to download a Z-Wave analyzer app or frequency analyzer to see if there is any type of interference causing this issue. The neighbor in this post here describes how this was able to help them.

A post was split to a new topic: Failing to add second alarm range extender