How long do videos remain on Ring servers

I asked this question in the Doorbell topic but then realized I should have asked it here. Basically, I need to know how long videos remain on the Ring servers and if there is any possibility of getting videos past the 60 day limit. I didn’t realize they deleted so quickly (I thought it was six months or a year) and I thought starred videos would not be deleted at all.

I would LIKE access back to last July or August, but even going back to just late December 2019 and early January 2020 would be great.

Hi @rwagoner! Video Recordings are available for up to 30 days or 60 days, depending on location. Check out our help center article which outlines this information for all plans, and more! :slight_smile:

At Ring we value your security and your privacy. Videos will only be saved if you are subscribed to one of our Protect Plans, or in free trial period. If videos are deleted manually, deleted after 30/60 days, or the plan lapses, there is no way to recover them as they are only stored on your account. We recommend downloading any important videos, in which starring videos is a great feature to give you a visual reminder to download if needed. I hope this helps!

Well it helps and it doesn’t help … it helps explain it, but it is disappointing that the policy change – videos used to be saved longer – resulted in losing videos. I don’t see a reason to keep the Ring service at all.

2 Likes

I didn’t realize that Ring now deletes videos longer than 60 days and that they delete starred videos in that frame too. Does anyone know if Ring itself saves them longer on theior servers and if there is a way to get some back? In my case, back to December would be great (December 14 - January 16 is the main time frame I want; going back as far as last Summer would be even better). Had I known they deleted so fast I would have downloaded them AND probably not bothered signing up for the service.

I had the same problem and I called Ring, and they provided the same answer. Someone broke into my house during a real estate showing and we needed to access videos just outside the 60 day window. I was unaware of this window as well and thought we were out of luck since we needed to send the videos to the police.

Then, my realtor said she still had links to the videos on a text message I sent her and she said they still worked! I was shocked to see that because Ring said that the videos were all deleted and no one can access them. Just to be clear, I didn’t download the videos, they were shared links.

If that’s true, how can we stream two links that are past the 60 day window? I escalated my calls to Ring leadership and I’m waiting on a response from the Corporate office.

This leads me to believe they are deceiving customers on deleting videos past the 60 day mark. They’re definitely still there and Ring is not being honest with how they store our data. I have serious privacy issues questions on where they are keeping this data if they are telling consumers they deleted it.

Hi @Kkatarn. Any private videos stored in the cloud are automatically deleted following the expiration of your account’s applicable storage period under the Ring Protect Plan. We’ve developed a feature that allows you to delete videos from previously shared video links, which you can learn more about here. You can also find this feature within the Video Management section of Control Center. Please note that only the owner of the video will be able to share or unshare the video. If you’re unable to delete a shared video from Control Center, you can call our support team at ring.com/callus for further assistance deleting a shared video link.

As Tom_Ring mentioned above,

“Any private videos stored in the cloud are automatically deleted following the expiration of your account’s applicable storage period under the Ring Protect Plan. We’ve developed a feature that allows you to delete videos from previously shared video links, which you can learn more about here.”

You can also adjust your video storage length options, in which our Community article has steps and tips on doing so. If you are needing further assistance with video storage, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.