How can I deactivate Two Factor Authentication?

I found an online support guide with steps to activate and deactivate two factor authentication but the steps on there do not accurate reflect what’s in the iOS app.

The only options I can see is to turn two factor for sms on or off. I don’t want this, I’d like to remove it completely (I current have codes emailed to me).

How can I disable 2FA?

3 Likes

Hi @leecollings. At Ring, we take our neighbors privacy and security seriously, and thus have implemented Two Step Verification, which you can learn more about in our Community post here. While you do have the option to turn off the text messaging section of it, every time text message is turned off, it will turn on email. There is no way to turn off Two Step Verification at this time, as this is something we make mandatory on all Ring accounts now.

1 Like

Thank you Chelsea

1 Like

In no way am I worried about my video going to the public.Two factor authentication is a hassle. Having this mandatory is why I don’t subscribe to Ring. At work, I can’t get two-factor authentication due to the office works network policy and no personal email or cell phones in the office. Arlo camera systems there is no issue, as I can log on and see my video.

5 Likes

You can’t. Ring wants to make it difficult to see your videos.

5 Likes

Either give us an option for two factor authentication or I will be leaving Ring.

6 Likes

@Chelsea_Ring

Please allow/create/re-instate an option for us to turn two-step verification off, it is a hassle that bogs all of this down. Thank you!

Also, your explanation is incorrectly labeled as a “solution” - it is not a solution, it is merely an explanation. Perhaps the “explantion” label doesn’t exist & therefore needs to be created?

7 Likes

Thank you for sharing these wishes with us @DC0! As we value our neighbors’ feedback, we’ve created a Feature Request board. Feel free to add this and any future feature requests there. This will help us to organize and share your requests with our teams here, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place. :slight_smile:

I’m really getting frustrated with the two step verification process… I don’t want it, and I can’t turn it off. We don’t use our phones to check the cameras, we use our computers.

It’s such a pain, that my wife is no longer checking the camera anymore, and even I’ve stopped checking.

I’d like a refund on my cameras, the solar panels and the extra batteries I’ve bought. It’s all useless to me now. You can keep the subscription fee.

7 Likes

your canned answer doesn’t work.

Your system kicks me out of my session daily, then won’t let me back in for hours. The verification code entry time only lasts for one minute, not ten, so I have to retry and if the email doesn’t come through in time, I have to do it again. When I get it in time, I then get an error code and I have to try again and finally give up until later. Yes, I do have multiple sessions going. Is there a problem with that?

This is not working for me, and your lack of available support is beginning to get infuriating.

Requiring the two factor authentication is your option that is not so welcome, especially without support to make sure it works right.

Maybe you can have someone check things to make sure they are operating as advertised.

2 Likes

This is not a solution. The fact I have to wait for an email to logon on these forums to look for Q&A is a nuisance. I like your tech but choices made for us such as forced two factor authentication and inability to turn vibrations off are intrusive and have me looking at your competitor’s products. There is a fine between looking out for your customer and being a nuisance and Ring crossed it. I recommend that you get a healthy respect for your customers and let us make our own choices.

2 Likes

I work at a federal office that I can go to ring.com but we are not allowed to have cell phones or personal email. So two-step login is an issue. I can’t use my ring account while at work because of this. Please allow me to disable two-step login. I really don’t care for that level of login protection for my cameras or doorbell.

2 Likes

Hey neighbors. Over the past year we have been making various efforts to ensure our neighbor’s safety when using their Ring products and services. In an effort to stay in line with industry’s best practices, Ring is phasing out email as a method of account verification as a part of Two-Step Verification, and the options that neighbors have now to log in are the SMS or an Authenticator App. If you are unable to use SMS verification, we recommend using an Authenticator App, which can be installed on a mobile device, PC, or laptop.

Well, this is rediculous, I have to text my wife who is in meetings on the other side of the country to get the code, hoping she can reply within 10 minutes. Because apparently it will only text her phone. Can I change the phone, yes, if I have the code. How do i get the code, call the other phone number.
This is why of my four cameras, I only have one ring device, soon to change to none.
Let Darwin work people, and force your lawyers to use this same 2FA everytime they need to log in.

1 Like

Another angry customer here. Two Step verification is painful

2 Likes

" we take our neighbors privacy and security seriously"
This is actual garbage. 5am and I get a motion alert and I have to go thru waiting on a text, and then picking which is the non upside down rhino (sometimes multiple times). These extra steps are just to protect rings liability for unauthorized access.

2 Likes

My wife had much difficulty using Ring, since the SMS went only to my phone.
Best solution is to leave Ring running on her iPhone and iPad.
They stay running for days, and the SMS is only needed when you launch.
That is only when the phone is rebooted. Perhaps once a month.

2 Likes

My account had been running for years with no issues, until my wife was given a new iPad and we needed to log the Ring account onto the app. Then the crap started. I had to change my password to something stupidly difficult, re-log in with both of our phones and every time there is a verification code sent to MY phone, and if I’m not available, then my wife is SOL as far as logging in to see the cameras. My search as to how to turn off the two-factor authentication resulted in this community thread. And, reading the result, there is no method to disable it.

I now know what I should have asked for at Christmas- a new Arlo Pro system. I have been running Ring cameras and doorbells for years, and installed more of them than I can remember for friends and family. But now, Ring has made this a very user un-friendly app. I’m liking the Arlo systems I’ve installed at 3 friends houses this month, so I guess I’ll join their crowd. At least Arlo appreciates customers.

1 Like

just got a ring doorbell but its going back for a refund.this 2 factor authentification is useless
there should be a proper opt out option its the most useless bit of software ever.i would be quicker just going to the door and opening it to see who is there.or call a neighbour.

1 Like

I need to turn-off Two-Step Verification. But I learned that Ring requires Two-Step Verification which is unnecessary & is nothing but a delay that makes Ring Doorbell Video a waste of time. I use a Desktop where it says I can be signed-in for 30-days. But I am not logged-in for any length of time because as soon as I close the website to go on to other matters, I am automatically logged-out. Ring Doorbell Video is a real disappointment. Please give customers a choice. Thanks.

2 Likes