Drill bit supplied in Ring Install Kit? (Specifications QUESTION)

For my physical install of the Ring Video Doorbell on my brick house I have a conern that the drill bit provided by Ring won’t do the job. Now; I have not tried it yet but i just doesn’t look like it could drill through anyting unfortunately… LOL

The drill bit has a “6” and a “15/64” on it.

Can anyone verify that is indeed the typical or correct size drill bit for the supplied anchors? Thanks

I started a “test hole” at another location on the brick and it was working (very slow), but maybe this WILL work… Took about 45 seconds to drill first approx. 1/8"-3/16" depth…

UPDATE: ok, even though the “test drill hole” seemed to pass (that is it “started” a hole in the brick), I am unable to get the bit to drill any further into the brick at the mounting location. After 3+ minutes of drilling the first hole, it’s not drilling any deeper than the initial 1/8" or so! Wonder if there’s an issue with the drill bit Ring sent in my kit? Can I just go find a hardened 15/64" bit for drilling metal???

Thoughts? Ring HELP??!

Thanks

I had the same issue… did anyone answer this question yet?

Hi neighbors! The drilling instructions found on this help center article, states the included drill bit should be sufficient for brick. If it is not doing the trick, any masonry or standard exterior surface drill bit should work. Use the included bit to compare size for a sufficient anchor hole, if needed. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

I’m facing the same issue described above and need to order a drill bit of the correct size.

Could someone from Ring please confirm the size, rather than telling us to compare it to the supplied bit (not very helpful for online shopping).

1 Like

@I_M wrote:
I’m facing the same issue described above and need to order a drill bit of the correct size.

Could someone from Ring please confirm the size, rather than telling us to compare it to the supplied bit (not very helpful for online shopping).

Hello @I_M and @retasindy ,

The supplied drill bit from Ring that came with your Doorbell is a 4" long and 15/64" wide Masonry Drill bit to match the Ring supplied Mounting anchors and Mounting screws.

It isn’t the best nor toughest Masonry drill bit, but it is adequate for 4 mounting holes. It will work both on wood, stucco & cement, brick, and many other materials. Drilling holes in soft material, such as wood, drilling should be unnecessary and you should just use the screws without drilling or mounting anchors.

But if you have to drill mounting holes into brick, you might discover that “not all Bricks are alike.” With some “softer” bricks, this drill bit can handle it fairly well. But you may encounter really dense, “extremely hard” bricks too.

If you elect to use an ordinary drill, that just ‘spins’, for sure I would use a corded, plug-in drill. Using a spinning drill that is battery-powered isn’t gonna last long enough to do 4 holes into brick. After you start drilling into your brick, and you realize your brick is the “extremely hard” type, you may find 4 holes will take many hours! This is when I recommend you borrow, rent, or go out and buy a corded " Hammer Drill." A Hammer drill not only spins, but does a rapid hammering-type motion, enabling the Masonry drill bit to ‘pulverize’ as it spins. Holes into hard brick or concrete now can only take minutes!

If you don’t have a friend that already own’s a "Hammer Drill’ for you to borrow, you’ll find prices on Hammer drills can cost anywhere from around $30 up to hundreds of dollars! Since you are only going to make 4 holes on this mounting project (maybe 5 holes if you decide to route the wires through the brick for a more “professional look”) go with the cheapest Hammer drill you can find.

If the whole idea about drilling through brick and purchasing a Hammer Drill isn’t something you want to deal with, Ring now offers a new Doorbell “No Drill Mounting” bracket (although you didn’t mention which model doorbell you have, and this is for the Video Doorbell 3 and Doorbell 3 “Plus”):

https://store.ring.com/products/no-drill-mount-rvd3?

If you do use the new mounting bracket without screws, and are concerned about it getting stolen, remember that Ring will replace it with an accomanying police report.

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003475783-What-to-do-After-the-Theft-of-Your-Ring-Device

I hope this information is helpful to you. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @I_M! The size you are looking for is 15/64 inch drill bit (or a 5.5mm or 6mm bit). I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Your kit came with a drill bit? I just called because I couldn’t find one in the box and was told the kits don’t come with them.

@Iheartfrenchtoast wrote:
Your kit came with a drill bit? I just called because I couldn’t find one in the box and was told the kits don’t come with them.

Hello @Iheartfrenchtoast ,

Yes, the Video Doorbells come with an orange screwdriver and drill bit. The Video Security cameras do not.

1 Like

My doorbell did not come with an orange screwdriver or a drill bit.

Which doorbell model is it?

1 Like

Yep, mine was missing some of the screws and the drillbit, so frustrating!!

Mine came with a blue security screwdriver but there’s no drillbit — also you’re going to have issues drilling into masonry if you don’t have a hammer drill.

I was just seeing if it was lodged inside the ring or attached to something and I’m missing it.

My directions say to use a 1/4” bit and it’s not included

1 Like

Check out the Spare Part Kits at Ring.com. There are kits specific to Video Doorbell models, in which some will include a drill bit while others will not.

If you are still needing a drill bit for installation, the size you are looking for is 15/64 inch drill bit (or a 5.5mm or 6mm bit) and can be found at a hardware store. As mentioned prior in this thread, keep in mind the surface material you are wanting to drill into. I hope this helps! :slight_smile: