Porch/Garage Light Design

@Jennifer_Ring wrote:

Awesome. Thank you for your feedback, neighbors! Just to confirm, you have seen the Spotlight Cam: Battery or Wired, correct?

My Homeowners Association (HOA) will object to non-standard fixtures attached to the house that is visible from the street. Too many people doing that may allude to some notion that it is an unsafe neighborhood, which puts downward pressure on property prices (like putting grills on windows).

That’s why I use a security cam lightbulb that fits into the existing porch light housing.

1 Like

The spotlight cam does not look like a typical porch light. It would be nice to have a one piece design…latern housing, bulb and camera, seamlessly blending in and looking like normal light fixtures.

1 Like

YES!!! YES!!! YES!!!

INMO this is a significant limitation with RING.

Most homes with garages etc already have light fixtures that are powered by a switch. Additionally, these fixtures have features such as dawn/dusk and dimmed lighting until motion is detected. As far as I can tell, Ring doesn’t have a device that provides all these features. To make it a bit more complicated if you have more than one fixture (a light on both sides of your garage door) it wouldn’t be ascetically pleasing to replace one of the fixtures. A simple lightbulb could possibly do the trick or obviously a better yet a wall lantern style.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing with the Community, neighbors! As we value our neighbors’ feedback, we’ve created a Feature Request board. Feel free to add this and any future feature requests there. This will help us to organize and share your requests with our teams here, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place. :slight_smile:

Does Ring make a front porch light (Coach Style) with a camera installed in it (see attached photo)? I have seen products from other manufactures (Maximus is one), but nothing like this from Ring!

I already have the RING Spotlight Camera and Stickup Camera. It would be nice if RING would consider offering a similiar product (Coach Style Front Porch Light) with a camera. I don’t want to have a mix/match of different security cameras, if I can help it.

Thank You!

Maximus Coach Smart Security.jpg

3 Likes

You probably already know the asnwer, Ring does not make a camera like that. You can see all the products on the Ring website.

What I have seen people do is put an indoor camera inside a latern light fixture using the power from the light socket. Sort of an interesting customized solution. Just make sure you have the IR turned off.

2 Likes

Very Nice!

I have 4 floodlights and one doorbell installed around my house, however, I would love decorative front porch lights that have Ring camer/video capabilities. Is it planned as a future product?

Hey neighbors! We do not have any information to share on a product like this, however we appreciate your feedback and suggestions. As we value our neighbors’ feedback, we’ve created a Feature Request board. Feel free to add this and any future feature requests there. This will help us to organize and share your requests with our teams here, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place. Feel free to link that post you make in the Feature Request board here so other neighbors that come to this thread can easily find your feature! :slight_smile:

Has Ring looked into making a porch light style camera? I believe that style would disguise the camera.

Does the ring camera porch lite come in a hard wired style that can go where an old porch lite was and wired directly into the 110v power? All the ones I see look to have a plug hanging out of them or battery.

Hey @RR1978. I believe you’re referring to the Spotlight Cam. If so, there are 4 power options- Battery, Plug-In, Solar and Hardwired. We also sell a conversion kit to convert your standard plug into a hardwired option. You can find that kit here. I hope this is helpful.

1 Like

I’d be REALLY interested in a Ring Porch Light, or an after-market way to add a Ring camera to an existing porch light. We have a Ring doorbell for the front door and a Ring Floodlight Cam for the driveway. I’d live to replace my porch lights with Ring devices that look like a porch light.

For example, my Floodlight Cam is next to my patio, but it can’t see onto my patio, much less into my backyard. But a Ring camera in my porch light could. Further, my Ring Doorbell can sort of see my front yard, but not terribly well given where the doorbell is installed. However, a porch light would not only cover my front yard, but the sidewalks and street where my daughter’s car is parked.

It would seem to be a relatively straightforward modification of the camera in the floodlight cam to a porch light enclosure since the AC/DC conversion and AC relays are already there.

I’ve considered 3D-printing an enclosure myself, but I doubt it would last long in the Texas heat.

it’d be awesome to have an add on cam for my existing porch or garage lights! I picture a device that taps into power of existing lights and can hang below, on side or above them…almost as if they belong together. So essentially u can use a fixture of your choice and add a camera to any of them.
It can be sleek, small and inconspicuous.

it’d be awesome to have an add on cam for my existing porch or garage lights! I picture a device that taps into power of existing lights and can hang below, on side or above them…almost as if they belong together. So essentially u can use a fixture of your choice and add a camera to any of them.
It can be sleek, small and inconspicuous.

I have 4 floodlights and one doorbell installed around my house, however, I would love decorative front porch lights that have Ring camer/video capabilities. Does Ring or anyone you know, make such an item? Is it planned as a future product?

I agree 100% on the porch light idea. I was looking for a place to make that suggestion when I came across this board and see that several others have already suggested the idea. Just like the floodlight cam is a quick/easy replacement for an existing floodlight, a Ring “Porch-Light Cam”, could be an easy drop-in replacement for an existing porch light, where power is already available. That would seem to be a fairly lucrative concept for Ring as well. There are probably more home-owners that would be willing and able to replace a porch light they can readily access without an extension ladder as compared to replacing a floodlight.

Looking forward to a possible future Ring Porch-Light Cam.

I would like to see Ring design a light cam that I can replace my porch or side garage door lights with. Ones that look like normal exterior fixtures. Not floodlights or stick up cameras but something like the latern style you would buy at Lowes. The lights could be on low at all times but when motion is detected they turn on high and the camera is activated. It would be an attractive alternative to the floodlights or other cameras available.

This is the one missing product that has prevented me from switching to Ring from my current solution. Porch light security cameras make so much sense as they provide constant power, easy install, integrated lighting, and are aesthetically pleasing (Ring flood lights and spot cams are just plain ugly and stick out like a sore thumb).

I totally agree that this is needed and is the one missing product that has prevented me from switching to Ring from my current solution. Porch light security cameras make so much sense as they provide constant power, easy install, integrated lighting, and are aesthetically pleasing (Ring flood lights and spot cams are just plain ugly and stick out like a sore thumb).